2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 12:21 AM by user632098

Newbie question on installaing oracle12c on oel6.4

user12021554

I am learning Oracle Enterprise Linux and Oracle 12c.

I have a windows 7 PC and VMPLAYER 5,x. I created a virtual machine and installed oel6.4 using
      Tim Hall's Oracle-Base excellent article.

ORACLE-BASE - Oracle Linux 6 Installation

Now I am following his article:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/12c/oracle-db-12cr1-installation-on-oracle-linux-6.php

to install oracle 12c.

It talks about verify and installaing lots of additional packages using yum.

Question is how I do install these packages. My VM which has OEL6 does not seem to have installed firefox. I do not think my VM  has internet connectivity.

From my Windows  7 I have connectivity but not from my VM.

1. Why are these packages not available in OEL 6.4 CD? If these pacakges are not available on the CD, can I download them on my Windows & and then move to Virtual Machine and install from there?

2. Where do I download these packages from ?

I am a new bie to Linux, any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Newbie question on installaing oracle12c on oel6.4
          Dude!

The command yum install oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall is all you need to prepare your system for Oracle 12c installation. It will trigger the installation of the prerequisite packages, and configure the Oracle account and kernel parameters.

Regarding the installation source, see the Oracle Linux 6.4 release notes, chapter 3.2.2 and 3.2.3. Yum is the package managment tool which retrieves packages from the Internet using html or the local DVD media. The oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall package was released after the 6.4 media, but you can get it via yum configured to connect to Oracle Public Yum (default).

And btw, you might want to use the right nomenclature. The product is called Oracle Linux and not Oracle Enterprise Linux anymore, which changed during the release of Oracle Linux 5.5.

• 2. Re: Newbie question on installaing oracle12c on oel6.4
            user632098

Dude:

Thanks so much. Yes, I found my internet connection is up even though I do not have firefox or any browser installed. I was able to ping google.com and yahoo.com so I can use yum. Also, thanks for pointing name change to Oracle Linux.

Prem