This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 10:47 AM by d249a715-183a-467f-88dc-b8aff470ef95 RSS

S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery

d249a715-183a-467f-88dc-b8aff470ef95 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Renting a 5 gig schema in the cloud is a great idea. I am trying to sell it to my boss right now, naturally the first questions are (1) whats performance like and (2) how reliable is it, so

1. what is the max number of concurrent users S5 can support while maintaining OLTP type response time of 1.5 - 2 seconds?

2. what is the backup/recovery strategy? if S5 goes down how much do I loose? 15 seconds as if I had redo log files enabled? a day as if I just had yesterday end of day schema export? how long will it take for S5 to recover and get back online?

• 1. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery
    RickG Explorer

Hello -

In answer to your questions -

- As far as maximum number of concurrent users, the answer to that is the same answer as to all performance related questions - "It depends".  It depends on what operations you are doing, and what are going on in the rest of the database.  The Database Cloud Service does run on Exadata, so response time at the database should be excellent, as should scalability.  But the largest, and most varying, component of response time is transmission over the Internet.  I don't go a day (heck, I don't go an hour) on the Internet with a simple text based page taking longer than 2 seconds to load.  So the response time is something completely out of our control, but likely to occasionally exceed your specification, regardless of what you are doing or the speed of the server.

- We do automated backups for the Database Cloud Service.  You cannot enable or disable redo logs - you will not have SYSADM access to the underlying database.  You can export your entire schema at any time, which will create a dump file, which you could use to restore your Database Cloud Service.  As far as time to recover, that would be covered in an SLA, but there is not a standard SLA for the Database Cloud Service.

Hope this helps.

- Rick Greenwald

• 2. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery

Hi Rick,

We are doing financial style OLTP transaction processing. Our users hit the database 3-6 times a minute. Under a hundred tables in the DB, well designed and tuned. Three tables with a couple of million records, other are smaller. Nothing else is going on in the databse, DSS runs separately. Take the internet routing out of the equation and tell me the number of requests per second where the instance starts slowing down. Have you ever done a standard load testing with S5?

Right now on my own hardaware/software setup if the primary rack burns I can restore everything and be back in business in under 30 minutes on a standby set of hardware while loosing less than 5 minutes of pre-crash data. I would never disable the redo logs and hope they are enabled now. What kind of backups do you actually do? How recoverable are you? Have you tried?

We are trying to access here if you guys are ready to go commercial. We love the Oracle in the cloud idea but I need some straight, confidence building answers here.

thanks

Gene

• 3. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery
    RickG Explorer

Hi Gene -

First of all, we (Oracle) have not done benchmark tests for the number of concurrent users.  There was a presentation at ODTUG this year by Jan Navratil of CampusIT which reported on the results of some tests he did, and they were quite impressive.  He reported that his load testing went up to 250 concurrent users, and only stopped there due to the limitations of his load testing tool.

However, I would not ever suggest that this addresses your questions, for two reasons.  First of all, the phrase "starts slowing down" is not very precise, and, as mentioned previously, is completely overshadowed by the variability of network performance on the Internet.  So regardless of what answer we (or Jan) gave you, it would not necessarily be reliable in the 'real world'.

Secondly, the only real assurance you could get would be an SLA on response time.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no Cloud vendor in the world that offers this.  So the straight answer is "There will be variable performance for a wide variety of reasons".  Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but an honest one.

On the second point, we do not have a recovery SLA for the Database Cloud Service by default.  We do daily backups, with archived log files, as a well-run Oracle shop would.  And yes, we actually test this stuff . . . .

I would also encourage you to attend the keynotes for next week's OpenWorld for more information.

Thanks for your interest.

- Rick Greenwald

• 4. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery

Rick,

OK, great, thanks

250 concurrent users is good, that's all I wanted to know on that point, works for us.

Back up and recovery - how long did it take you last time you tested to restore full database back up and apply the redo log files? or maybe you have Data Guard enabled so even if primary server blows up we just fail over to a stand by and there is no interruption of service at all? I read over our ORACLE CLOUD SERVICE AGREEMENT and there was nothing there about the recovery time and data loss. Can you please tell me something a bit more specific. If the exadata box my 5G schema is sitting on blows up (1) how long before I can execute SQL statement again? (2) how much pre-crash data will be lost? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? up to previous day backup?

I am simply trying to access if Oracle Cloud offering us suitable for running commercial type applications that can not afford much data loss or down time right now. Oracle installed on a private server has always been an undisputed number one in this department for as long as I can remember. That's why anyone who is serious about their enterprise IT is using Oracle. Now, what about that cloud thing?

thanks again

Gene

• 5. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery
    RickG Explorer

Hi Gene -

Back up and recovery - how long did it take you last time you tested to restore full database back up and apply the redo log files? or maybe you have Data Guard enabled so even if primary server blows up we just fail over to a stand by and there is no interruption of service at all? I read over our ORACLE CLOUD SERVICE AGREEMENT and there was nothing there about the recovery time and data loss. Can you please tell me something a bit more specific. If the exadata box my 5G schema is sitting on blows up (1) how long before I can execute SQL statement again? (2) how much pre-crash data will be lost? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? up to previous day backup?

Since I work for Oracle, any statement I make in this area could be construed as an SLA.  As I have mentioned, by default, we do not have an SLA for the Database Cloud Service.  Please contact a sales rep for further discussion on the possibility of including an SLA in a purchase agreement.

- Rick Greenwald

• 6. Re: S5 concurrent users and backup/recovery

got it, thanks a lot for your help

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points