This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 1:13 PM by mdaskalov RSS

Change initial VNIC mac address

906706 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello.
Where and how to change "00:21:f6" to something else?

TIA.
  • 1. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    user12273962 Pro
    Is there a particular reason why you want to change it?

As long as the end result is unique to anything potentially available to layer 2 traffic... it really doesn't matter.
  • 2. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    906706 Newbie
    1. It is a upgrade from OVM2 to 3.1.1, we want to reuse the old MAC addresses for the ~100 VMs
    2. We have multiple managers, managed by multiple users. Sooner or later they could create the same MAC addresses

So yes, I want to change this.
  • 3. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    budachst Pro
    In OVMM 3.1.x click on the "Networking" tab and then on Virtual NICs. Here you can create MAC-Addresses at will.
    Remeber, that when you move your VMs from OVM 2.2.x to OVM 3.x.x they will retain their MAC-Addresses unless you remove them first before moving the VMs.
  • 4. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    906706 Newbie
    The first three octets are greyed out and cannot be changed from the manager GUI. I need to change those.
  • 5. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    budachst Pro
    Why that? Even if you do have 100 or 200 actual VMs, this is a 24 bit mask, that provides you with thousands of MAC-Addresses, you should be able to find a spot where you can safely start from, like 00:21:f6:01.XX.XX, that would provide you with 16k MAC-Addresses. You know, that the first three octets are reseved for the vendor IDs, so you can't freely grab from there anyway.
  • 6. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    906706 Newbie
    Sigh.

OK, I try again:
    Where and how to change "00:21:f6" (the first three octets)?

Any other answers or questions are irrelevant, this is what I want to do.
  • 7. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    906706 Newbie
    Found some references to the octets:

./servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1347446613061/ovm_core_3.1.1.305.ear/l014uq/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/_WL_user/ovm_core/t0yzcu/war/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/_WL_user/ovm_core/ttzie3/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/_WL_user/ovm_help/33se2m/war/helpsets/ovmHelp/vmusg-vm-hardpart.html:vif = ['mac=00:21:f6:00:00:00']
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1347446613061_ovm_core_3.1.1.305.ear/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1347445734381/ovm_core_3.1.1.305.ear/l014uq/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).
    ./servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1347445734381_ovm_core_3.1.1.305.ear/doc/api/com/oracle/ovm/mgr/api/manager/VnicManager.html: Octets used are the OUI from the VnicManagerProperties(default value is 00:21:f6).

Hmm, changing vnicManagerProperties did not help. Am I on the right track?
  • 8. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    budachst Pro
    Very well then. Go ahead and purchase a support CSI for OVM and raise a SR, if you still feel that this is an error.
  • 9. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    user12273962 Pro
    Its not 16k it more like 16 million plus unique addresses.

If you're really concerned about the possibility of a MAC conflict, Segment your two managers/Servers on different subnets and create two different layer 2 environments. You really should learn the difference between layer 2 and layer 3 traffic. Once traffic is transported via layer 3 traffic.... the MAC address is only preserved. The MAC address is not used to "route" the traffic.
  • 10. Re: Change initial VNIC mac address
    mdaskalov Newbie

Hi,

I understand this is probably quite late answer, but since I found you article by googling, and then found a solution to my problem (which is similar to yours) I decided to add information for the others.

The UI of the Oracle VM Manager restrict the MAC addresses that you can enter.

It turns out that if you import a VM machine (not a VM template) it allows you to keep the original MAC address. The same is true for P2V VM creation method.

If you have followed a support.oracle.com note about VM guest migration from OVM21 to OVM30 that you probably imported a VM template in OVM3, and then created a new VM, with one of the preconfigured VNICs. Actually you can create a new VNIC with whatever MAC address you want from the CLI (command line interface).

ssh admin@you-vm-manager-host -p 10000

create Vnic name=desired-mac-address network=one-of-your-defined-networks

Then you can edit you VM machine configuration and choose this address, instead of the one assigned to your VNIC.

Regards,

Mihail Daskalov

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points