This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2013 12:40 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated

Did you have multiple pages open in multiple tabs?

• 31. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    EdStevens Guru

nlachwan wrote:

Did you say using advanced editor?

It does not occur for me

What doesn't occur?

The auto-logoff?  Count yourself lucky.

The "advanced" editor?  If so, I don't know what you meant that it doesn't "occur".  As type this (a straight reply) I'm looking right at a link that says "Use advanced editor".  It'sin the uppper-right corner of the editor window I'm typing in right now.   I use that frequently when I need to break up a quoted message to embed comments in context, or to format code samples.

• 32. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    Dude! Guru

I've had a couple of disconnects today, although not not during any editing session. It is probably a combination of various issues.

I'm not sure if troubleshooting based on end-user experience is going to help much, but here is some guessing:

The editor seems to do some processing in the background, especially when pasting text. When pasting text I usually notice that it first erases paragraphs, then rebuilds them in a few seconds, but sometimes it does not and I have to hit the enter key's manually. Sometimes the editor adds empty lines to each paragraph when re-editing the same message, which could be connected.

Perhaps the background processing sometimes crashes or is delayed. It is apparently possible to submit a discussion even before the editor process finishes. Maybe such operations leave orphaned processes behind, which disconnect the user or show that there is recovery available, although there should not.

• 33. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    EdStevens Guru

nlachwan wrote:

Did you have multiple pages open in multiple tabs?

You responded with this question to yourself ....

As for me, yes I use FF and always have multiple tabs open. 

• 34. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    Dude! Guru

Here is a suggestion that may help to further analyze the issue.

Using Firefox, I there is a Browser Console under Web Developer in Tools menu. It shows a bunch of interesting issues. With the browser module open, you can clear the logs, login to OTN and than continue to collect information.

• 35. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    bvm Newbie

What I don't get is why there's such a short fuse on the login to begin with.  Even if the site doesn't do me the discourtesy of logging me out while I'm typing, it still seems like every time I return to the forums after a few hours I have to login again.  This is a forum, not a bank!  Why is this forum so much more paranoid than any other forum I'm familiar with on the web?

• 36. Re: These sudden logoffs MUST stop
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

I've not noticed the problem in the past couple of weeks.  Seems to have been more stable recently.

1 2 3 Previous Next