2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 3:05 AM by Jonathan Lewis RSS

Bind peeking works for a specific set of clients, not all clients.  (???)

swapnil kambli

Hi ,

Above statement is from Oracle note id 430208.1

"When bind variables are used in a statement, it is assumed that cursor sharing is intended and that different invocations are supposed to use the same execution plan.
      If different invocations of the cursor would significantly benefit from different execution plans, then bind variables may have been used inappropriately in the SQL statement. Bind peeking works for a specific set of clients, not all clients."

I am unable to understand the last line (bold).Could you please help me undrestand?

Thanks,

Swapnil

• 1. Re: Bind peeking works for a specific set of clients, not all clients.  (???)
          Hemant K Chitale

It's  unlear.  I woudl interpret "clients" to be "customers with specific data and application usage patterns".

Hemant K Chitale

• 2. Re: Bind peeking works for a specific set of clients, not all clients.  (???)
            Jonathan Lewis

swapnilkambli wrote:

Hi ,

Above statement is from Oracle note id 430208.1

"When bind variables are used in a statement, it is assumed that cursor sharing is intended and that different invocations are supposed to use the same execution plan.
            If different invocations of the cursor would significantly benefit from different execution plans, then bind variables may have been used inappropriately in the SQL statement. Bind peeking works for a specific set of clients, not all clients."

I am unable to understand the last line (bold).Could you please help me undrestand?

Thanks,

Swapnil

The comment is ambiguous and unsubstantiated (by the article). I've just used the +/- icon to send rate the article and send a comment to Oracle about it.  I've also pointed out that the basic premise of "peek once" changed in 11g with the arrival of adaptive cursor sharing.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis