This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 1:05 PM by Martin Preiss RSS

A question on different options for data archival and compression

orausern Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Experts,

I have production database of about 5 terabyte size in production and about 50 GB in development/QA. I am on Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Linux. We have RMAN backups configured. I have a question about data archival stretegy.  To keep the OLTP database size optimum, what options can be suggested for data archival?

1) Should each table have a archival stretegy?

2) What is the best way to archive data - should it be sent to a seperate archival database?

In our environment, only for about 15 tables we have the archival stretegy defined. For these tables, we copy their data every night to a seperate schema meant to store this archived data and then transfer it eventualy to a diffent archival database. For all other tables, there is no data archival stretegy.

What are the different options and best practices about it that can be reviewed to put a practical data archival strategy in place? I will be most thankful for your inputs.

Also what are the different data compression stregegies? For example we have about 25 tables that are read-only. Should they be compressed using the default oracle 9i basic compression? (alter table compress).

Thanks,

OrauserN

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points