This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2013 7:32 AM by WadhahDAOUEHI RSS

how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode

Avinash P Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I installed Putty and Xming on my windows7 and server in linux box.I need to bering linux mode into GUI mode.
Please let me the configuration steps for xming and putty.

when am trying open the putty window but it is not getting in windows mode.
will check the disply varible also it showing -- localhost:10.0

Any help.....
  • 1. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    EdStevens Guru
    P.Abhi wrote:
    Hi all,

I installed Putty and Xming on my windows7 and server in linux box.I need to bering linux mode into GUI mode.
    Please let me the configuration steps for xming and putty.

when am trying open the putty window but it is not getting in windows mode.
    will check the disply varible also it showing -- localhost:10.0

Any help.....
    the "windows mode" won't be in the putty window. If you have xming working, you just need to configure your putty session for x-11 port forwarding and not worry about your session's DISPLAY variable.

In the putty control panel, select your session and "load"
    in the navigation tree, select connections -> ssh -> X11
    check 'enable X11 forwarding'
    in the navigation tree, select 'session'
    in the control panel, select 'save'

test it by logging on to a session and executing 'xclock'

Edited by: EdStevens on May 16, 2013 4:12 PM
  • 2. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    Avinash P Newbie
    when i use xclock command clock will be open.how to open in GUI mode
  • 3. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    Dude! Guru
    GUI under Linux requires the X Window system and is a very complex topic that cannot be simply explained in a forum thread. X Window is server and client based, which is a fundamentally different from GUI systems like Microsoft Windows and Remote Desktop Sharing.

There are several ways to run a GUI application under Linux. What you are trying to accomplish using PuTTy and Xming is making an SSH connection with X11 forwarding.

Xming, running under Microsoft Windows, is a X Window server, which like any X Window server must connect directly to your local mouse and display. When you establish a SSH session with X11 forwarding, you are intercepting the local X11 protocol on the remote client (Linux server) and send it to your local X Window server running on your PC Desktop.

For X11 forwarding to work, you do NOT need to install the X Window server on the Linux system, but you need the appropriate authentication package and setup SSH access on the Linux server with X11 forwarding. Both should be installed by default. If not:
    # yum install openssh-server xorg-x11-xauth xorg-x11-apps
    You start the Xming X server on your Windows PC, then open PuTTy to establish a SSH session with X11 forwarding. PuTTy will pass the X11 protocol to Xming for processing and user interaction. You need to configure PuTTy for X11 forwarding as mentioned in the previous response. When starting a X client application on the remote server it will display on your local screen.

Alternatively, you can install MobaXterm, which is based on CYGWin and combines a X Window server and SSH client in one single application, which might be a more convenient solution. You can download a free version of MobaXterm from the Internet.

Keep the following about SSH with X11 forwarding in mind:
    - SSH automatically configures the necessary X11 environment variables such as DISPLAY.
    - It requires TCP port 22 enabled on the firewall (Linux default). X11 is tunneled through the SSH session.
    - It does not use xhost authentication.
    - You cannot use su to connect as another user after the initial connection. It will break xauth authentication.
  • 4. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    EdStevens Guru
    P.Abhi wrote:
    when i use xclock command clock will be open.how to open in GUI mode
    If the clock appeared on your screen, then it IS opened "in GUI mode". What are you expecting? It is NOT going to appear inside your putty window. That is not how ssh and x-11 work.
  • 5. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    fritshoogland Oracle ACE
    Dear P.Abhi, could you perhaps explain what your goal is? Is your goal to have a GUI desktop just like windows, but on Linux?
    As others have pointed out: using putty with X-forwarding and xming you can start any installed X program "in GUI mode".

If you want to have a full desktop, a possibility is to install the X environment:
    # yum groupinstall "X Window System"
    And log in via putty with X forwarding enabled as a regular user, and issue:
    $ startx
    But I doubt that you want a full X environment with a network in between.
  • 6. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    Avinash P Newbie
    Hi ,

My machine having windows7 os and we are having LINUX Server(102.1.116.22).I need to install some thing on my unix server.that why i need to bering the unix server in windows or gui mode.

I installed PUTTY,Xming in my windows machine and.I can acess the linux server throught putty.now i need to windows/gul mode for installing softwares.

Please share me the Steps/Process. that is very helpful for me.

Thanks,
  • 7. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    Dude! Guru
    Trying this under OL 6.4 in VirtualBox does not start a Gnome desktop.

If the user has Oracle Linux 6 and wants a Gnome Desktop GUI that resembles the installation of the previous OS release, the following should do:
    # yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"
    # yum install system-config-lvm

Then edit /etc/inittab and change the default init from 3 to 5 
    to have X Window start at the next system restart.
    However, if the user does not ask for a Gnome desktop and just needs to run the Oracle Database installer, it might not be a good idea to suggest to install the whole X Window enchilada.
  • 8. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    Dude! Guru
    Please share information that is helpful for us to help you.

Can you review the responses you received and let us know where the problem is? The more detailed information you provide, the more likely it is to receive a working solution.
  • 9. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    AlexandarVu Newbie
    What are you trying to install, what software?

Installation of Oracle Database for example, there is no need to have GUI on a server to perform installation.

Give us more details to get a helpful answer. ;)
  • 10. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    EdStevens Guru
    P.Abhi wrote:
    Hi ,

My machine having windows7 os and we are having LINUX Server(102.1.116.22).I need to install some thing on my unix server.
    And what would that "some thing" be? Maybe Oracle Database, wherein the installer (aka Oracle Universal Installer, aka OUI) is a GUI app? If so, it is just like xclock. If you can see the clock from xclock, you can run the OUI.
    that why i need to bering the unix server in windows or gui mode.

I installed PUTTY,Xming in my windows machine and.I can acess the linux server throught putty.now i need to windows/gul mode for installing softwares.

Thanks,
  • 11. Re: how to configure Xming and putty for GUI mode
    WadhahDAOUEHI Journeyer

Hi,

This a good tuto, how to configure Xming and Putty on Windows for the GUI mode, URL.

If your question is solved, Thanks to change the status to solved.

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points