This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 6:23 AM by Asif Muhammad RSS

Bounce CM without affecting already running CR

RushiShah Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Can someone advise me on below queries, please?

Is it possible to bounce concurrent managers / all the middle tier services without affecting the concurrent requests that

are already running?If yes, how?

I know that the CM process that is serving the CR at the time of shutdown will continue to run until the CR completes.

But, is it also possible to stop such CM process as well even before the CR completes??I've read somewhere that the CRs get resubmitted. Can someone explain this?

Thanks,

Rushi

• 1. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi Rushi,

When you deactivate the manager only then the manager waits until the requests that are been served are completed.

Please refer:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B34956_01/current/acrobat/120samg.pdf

Section (Search for): "Deactivating Individual Managers"

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 2. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    RushiShah Newbie

Thanks for the response Asif.

I had checked that document.One query from that doc too.

Do they mean using "Terminate" button on "Administer Concurrent Manager" form when they say "terminate requests and deactivate individual manager"?

I tried both Terminate and Deactivate buttons on "Administer Concurrent Manager" form after submitting a long running concurrent request (Gather Schema Statistics).

What I observed, in both the cases, is that all the processes of the serving manager shut down except the one which was serving the request.

The manager would have "Terminating" / "Deactivating" (as the case may be) in the status column of the same form and, from the actual and target columns for the manager, it showed that out of 15 allocated processes, 14 shut down and one continued to serve the request.

• 3. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi,

I tried both Terminate and Deactivate buttons on "Administer Concurrent Manager" form after submitting a long running concurrent request (Gather Schema Statistics).

What I observed, in both the cases, is that all the processes of the serving manager shut down except the one which was serving the request.

The manager would have "Terminating" / "Deactivating" (as the case may be) in the status column of the same form and, from the actual and target columns for the manager, it showed that out of 15 allocated processes, 14 shut down and one continued to serve the request.

This is because as you have allocated 15 processes to handle the incoming concurrent requests, all the processes are shutdown except one (Gather Schema Statistics) as it is being run and will wait till it finishes it's run. That is the reason 14 were shutdown leaving one for the currently processing program.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 4. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE

I had checked that document.One query from that doc too.

Do they mean using "Terminate" button on "Administer Concurrent Manager" form when they say "terminate requests and deactivate individual manager"?

Please see page 2-41 in the same manual.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 5. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    RushiShah Newbie

Please see page 2-41 in the same manual.

Thanks Hussein.
    I had read that table but it is still not clear.

As per my understanding following is the correct mapping of the control functions mentioned in that table to actual buttons on the Administer Concurrent Manager form.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Activate concurrent manager   > Activate button on the form
    Restart concurrent manager   > Restart button on the form
    Deactivate concurrent manager   > Deactivate button on the form
    Terminate reqeusts and deactivate manager > Terminate button on the form

Given this mapping, I tried Terminate button (Terminate reqeusts and deactivate manager) for a concurrent manager but the manager did not completely shutdown. As I described in my first response to Asif, the request continued to run as normal whereas it should have been terminated and so the manager didn't get deactivated completely.

And the behaviour was not any different when using Deactivate button either.

Thanks,

Rushi

• 6. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    RushiShah Newbie

Can we have some inputs, please?

• 7. Re: Bounce CM without affecting already running CR
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi,

Following is an extract from doc: Oracle E-Business Suite System Administrator's Guide - Configuration

The following table describes control functions for any other manager.

Control FunctionDescription
    Activate concurrent managerIf the manager is defined to work in the current work shift, it starts immediately. Cancels "Deactivate concurrent manager" and "Terminate requests and deactivate manager".
    Restart concurrent managerInternal manager rereads the manager's definition, and the rules for concurrent program incompatibilities. You should restart a manager when you: - Change work shift assignments - Modify the number of target processes - Modify specialization rules - Change concurrent program incompatibilities
    Deactivate concurrent managerDeactivates the manager. All requests (concurrent programs) currently running are allowed to complete before the manager shuts down. A manager will not restart until you select the manager and choose "Activate concurrent manager".
    Terminate requests and deactivate managerAll running requests (running concurrent programs) handled by the manager are terminated.Once deactivated, a manager will not restart until you select the manager and choose "Activate concurrent manager".

Thanks &

Best Regards,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points