2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2013 1:53 PM by EdStevens RSS

Not able to connect remote oracle database over VPN

I can not connect remote oracle database over VPN. tnsping is ok and it shows the server information of remote database. i can also telnet the 1521 port of remote database server. I can connect the same server when it is located in the same LAN. Please help me out this is very urgent.

• 1. Re: Not able to connect remote oracle database over VPN
          sb92075

6b6c669e-6baa-45c4-a6dc-444aef2d5e7a wrote:

I can not connect remote oracle database over VPN. tnsping is ok and it shows the server information of remote database. i can also telnet the 1521 port of remote database server. I can connect the same server when it is located in the same LAN. Please help me out this is very urgent.

effectively you have said similar to below

my car won't go

tell me how to make my car go..

Without knowing what error you have we can't say what needs to be done to make it not happen.

• 2. Re: Not able to connect remote oracle database over VPN
            EdStevens

6b6c669e-6baa-45c4-a6dc-444aef2d5e7a wrote:

First, this is a forum of volunteers.  There is no "urgent" here.

"Urgent" means one of two things -

1) people are dying, or

2) you have a customer-facing, revenue-producing production system that is down.

(And to get some perspective on the second case, keep the first in mind.)

For the first, you call whatever civil emergency service seems appropriate.

For the second, you open an SR with Oracle - which requires a paid-up support contract. For *them* to consider your problem "urgent", you will need to demonstrate that your problem falls under item #2. I seriously doubt your problem fits that criteria.

You don't have a support contract?  Now you know the exact dollar figure that your company places on the data.

That said, you need to understand a few things about your specific problem,

First, port 1521 is only used by the listener to accept a connection request.  Once it gets that request (and finds that it is for a service (sid) that it knows about, it will fork a server process and tell the requesting client that it can communicate with that server process over some other port .. a randomly chosen port number in the "high" range.  It could be your vpn is blocking that other port, whereas your internal firewall is not.

But this is just an educated guess since I cannot find "can not connect remote oracle database over VPN" in any error message manual. If you had mentioned the VPN along with an actual oracle error message we could be much more precise in our diagnoses and recommendations.

---- edit 22 Sep

It occurred to me that I just assumed you were using the same client machine in both cases ... a laptop that you use both at work (local network) and home (vpn).  If that assumption is false, there are probably problems with your tns setup on the home (vpn) machine.

But again, it would be much easier to help if you gave us an actual error message.