This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 3:33 AM by jbellver RSS

Automate process as  part of SDLC of Databases

jbellver Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Philip,

as the same manner than other users in this forum, we are trying to automate as much as possible all the task related to the merge/compare models and generate differences DDL,

as part of our SDLC we compare different branches of the models using the DM 4EA2,

this comparison give us the deltas that we need to move from one version to other one,

we can save the DDL preview to run it into a server or just update the different versions of the model in the DM,

I have some questions regarding this process you may be on place to answer me;

Is there a possibility to run the datamodeler tool from a command line indicating

which models you want to compare/merge or to generate the DDL deltas from one model to a datadictionary?

assuming that DM Is not able to compare the code of the packages/packages body from different models or from model with data dictionary,

Is there a way to accomplish this issue by any other way?

is so useful the fact that you can define the permission of the packages to a roles already created into the model

but if we cannot compare the code at the end will have no sense to define the packages into the DM, from my point of view,

and finally but not less important,

to generate the packages for the releases we need to define the structure of the scripts we need to run in our environments,

it's any possibility to generate the DDL scripts following a defined structure?

i.e: DDL for the Tables in a file called tables.sql into src/main/sql/ddl/ folder and DDL of the views into wiews.sql file in the same directory src/main/sql/ddl/,

or DDL of the sequences in a sequence.sql file into src/main/code/ directory

sometimes we need to generate the DDL from the version that we are working on,

but generate all the scripts in only one file is not always the best solution,

if we could define the structure of the files at least automatically should help us a lot,

now we need to open the window dialog to generate the DDL and run the process per each type of object (tables/views/procedures/sequences ....)

thanks in advance for your support and

I 'm sorry for the big number of questions but we think DM is a really good and helpful tool

that we want to use in our company as a standard to manage the database models

• 1. Re: Automate process as  part of SDLC of Databases
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

Hi,

Is there a possibility to run the datamodeler tool from a command line indicating

Not possible now - we have such enhancement request and will add support for that in future releases.

assuming that DM Is not able to compare the code of the packages/packages body from different models or from model with data dictionary,

Is there a way to accomplish this issue by any other way?

You can use SQL Developer for that - http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2013/10/how-to-compare-plsql-and-sql-in-oracle-sql-developer/

We also will add support for that in future releases of Data Modeler.

it's any possibility to generate the DDL scripts following a defined structure?

i.e: DDL for the Tables in a file called tables.sql into src/main/sql/ddl/ folder and DDL of the views into wiews.sql file in the same directory src/main/sql/ddl/,

or DDL of the sequences in a sequence.sql file into src/main/code/ directory

We'll try to cook up support for that in next release.

Philip

• 2. Re: Automate process as  part of SDLC of Databases
    jbellver Newbie

Hi Philip,

first of all thanks for your support,

happy to listen that in the future will be possible to get all my dreams,

I'm really happy with the DM and I have to congratulate you about the advance from the previous versions (I'm using the tool from version 2),

regarding the compare option of the code of the packages,

I checked the link and the compare tool of SQL Developer is good enough to compare between the database object and a file, also is good one to compare between a file and other file,

in more or less all the projects could be more than 20 packages, procedures and functions,

is painful opening one by one file and compare, I can do the same with the subversion tools, not as friendly as with the SQL Developer but all the files at the same time and only taking into account the files with differences,

at this point I should have the packages in files out of the model to be able to compare the code,

maintain two versions of the code for each version (SVN) of the model is crazy and if I drop definitely the packages from the model I will loose the privileges,roles and user configuration really useful in the model,

I guess the possibility to compare the code into the model will be a great reason to convince the rest of my company that is should be our definitive tool for modelling databases.

Thanks Philip for your help again

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points