This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 8:13 AM by spiderman21 RSS

function metadata?

spiderman21 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Just curious, for functions like SDO_GEOM.RELATE, do the return values like "COVEREDBY", are those values/definitions defined in the database somewhere?  For instance a table containing all the values and a description of each?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: function metadata?
    Luc Van Linden Pro

Hi Peter

Have a look at this section in the documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/appdev.121/e17896/sdo_intro.htm#i880253

it explains the 9 element intersection matrix.

The defintions on the spatial relationships (bit mask, generated in row-major form like "101001111") are stored in the table MDSYS.MD$RELATE

select * from MDSYS.MD$RELATE  where SDO_relation = 'COVEREDBY' will give you those sdo_masks for COVEREDBY.

Regards

Luc

• 2. Re: function metadata?
    spiderman21 Newbie

Thanks Luc,

That is close to what I wanted but not quite.  I was hoping that there would be definition of "OVERLAPBDYINSECT" and the rest in some table.  I know the documentation carries the definition but it would be convenient if the database stored it too.

Peter

• 3. Re: function metadata?
    Luc Van Linden Pro

Peter

not sure what you mean.

all relationships are in that table, with the possible combinations of the mask. (9 ELEMENT INTERSECTION MATRIX).

you can always create your own table storing the textual definition if this is what you need.

Luc

• 4. Re: function metadata?
    spiderman21 Newbie

LucVanLinden wrote:

Peter

not sure what you mean.

all relationships are in that table, with the possible combinations of the mask. (9 ELEMENT INTERSECTION MATRIX).

you can always create your own table storing the textual definition if this is what you need.

Luc

That is what I mean exactly. I was hoping Oracle documented the terms somewhere in the database so I wouldn't have to.  That way if more or added or meanings changed, it would be updated "automatically".

Thanks though,

Peter

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points