5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 10:30 AM by Rudy Ising RSS

CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display

Laban_user

I am trying to edit the default forms/reports that come with CM14, trying to edit the data model, data set, (to get to the old Infomaker style graphic view) , the Query model does not display (error the list of tables is too long..) Oracle tell me the limit is 60,  there are not 60 tables referenced in any CM report.

Does this Query builder view work at all on any report?

(bigger question, we are moving from CM12, should we move to CM13 which works with infomaker?)

Thanks,

Paul L

• 1. Re: CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display
          Rudy Ising

If you want to avoid going to BI, you'll have to stay with CM13.  13.1 is last release that supported Infomaker.  I think support for the 13x environment is planned to stop in 2014, so something else to consider.

BI--does not have a comparable to the Infomaker "Graphical View".  When selecting tables, it will not display all tables from the complete list, but once you start typing "PR.." will then start displaying those that start with those letters.

As you saw, the BI Query Builder limits you to selecting 60 FIELDS maximum, and also once you build the query, you cannot return to the same graphical view to make changes.  Any queries built already must be modified in the SQL language screen, not the query builder.  BI expects for the most part that you will be working directly in SQL language for your queries.

I'm not sure that you can still obtain the CM13 installers from edelivery at this point, and pretty sure you cannot buy any more older licenses without explicit permission from Oracle sales, so these are other considerations.

• 2. Re: CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display
            Laban_user

Thanks for the help Rudylsing.  It is unfortunate, buildling queries graphically and the ability to go back to edit, is a pretty standard function in most report writing  tools(Access / Infomaker etc.). Will look at the BI desktop developer tools. As you noted CM13 is an option.

Thanks,

Paul

• 3. Re: CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display
              Kurt_B

I have been using BI Publisher with CM14 for a few months. I am not familiar with CM13 and Infomaker. This is how I get to see the tables used to create the DM. Log into BI Publisher, find your datamodel and select EDIT. Once it displays, click on dataset. When that displays click on the pencil icon(edit selected dataset). Click on Query Builder.  You will now see all of the tables and selected columns that were used to build your SQL needed to create the output dataset. I hope this helps.

Kurt

• 4. Re: CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display
                Kurt_B

One more note.  I have discovered that BI Publisher does not work properly when accessed through Internet Explorer. Try using FireFox and see if your results are better.

Kurt

• 5. Re: CM14 BI Publisher - modifying an existing Data Model, the Graphic View in Query Builder does not display
                  Rudy Ising

Kurt, thanks for your replies.

A couple of notes/clarifications.

1.     You are correct that BI works better in Firefox--I have observed issues with the BI display when using IE.  I would recommend using Firefox too.

2.     You are correct about the way to get to the Query Builder to see a graphical view of data tables.  There are basically two issues with this that I mentioned, but will re-iterate:

a.  If you have an EXISTING query in the data set, then click the "Query Builder" button, this will remove the existing query that's there, it will NOT display the existing query in the query builder.  Query Builder works only to create a NEW query from scratch.

b.  Query builder is limited to selecting 60 fields max in your query.  If you are creating a large report with many tables, you may find that 60 fields is not enough.  For that you will have to work in the SQL edit screen rather than using the query builder.

I would impress on anyone developing CM14 reports that they become familiar with the database schema and relationships to avoid problems when developing your BI reports.  You should be able to find the tables and joins documentation in the knowledgebase.