This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2013 7:36 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test

2b7d8cd4-8294-4e66-8255-8fa254a190dd Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm planning to take the 11G Admin  1 Certification Test and have acquired Transcender Test Prep software. I've gone through all the questions and am scoring in the 90's for the  two practice tests. The issue for me is that the Transcender package has 160+ questions, enough for two 70 question tests and after practicing them a few times, I've pretty much memorized all the answers. As you all know, Oracle is 'ENORMOUS' and one can spend an eternity just studying one aspect of it. So my question for those who have taken the test is; transcender claims that if you're scoring high on their practice tests, you have a very high likelihood to pass the real exam. While I understand the concepts, and have taken a course online, I would like to be sure I'm ready before I pay for the test. If you have experience with Transcender or Kaplan (which are Oracle Approved Practice Tests), are their claims true. What was your experience? Any tips what to focus on will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in Advance.

• 1. Re: How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test
    matthew_morris Expert

>...am scoring in the 90's for the  two practice tests...

>...after practicing them a few times, I've pretty much memorized all the answers.

If the production exam has the exact same questions and answers, you should be golden... 

Seriously, though -- it depends on *how* you used the practice tests.  I talk about the best way to use them in the article below. 

How to Use Practice Tests Effectively When Studying for an Oracle Certification

In short form, you study using other sources and then use practice tests to confirm that you really learned what you meant to learn.  Practice exams are not for learning the info but rather for determining how much you have learned.  As soon as you have memorized a reasonable number of the questions and answers on the practice exam, it becomes useless for its primary purpose.  There is a video on the Oracle blog with Aima Rotella from Kaplan.  When I watched it, I felt a strong urge to reach through my screen and slap her.  She suggested using the exams in practice mode first, which is the exact opposite of what you should do.  Practice mode gives you the correct answers and explanations to all of the questions right after you select your answer.  That means that after you take the exam that first time, it is completely useless as a means of determining how much you have learned about the topic.  She suggested using it in certification mode *after* that.  What's the point?  Then it's simply verifying that you were able to successfully memorize the specific questions and answers that practice mode spoon-fed to you.

Answering your question -- Kaplan makes good practice exams.  If you studied the material, then took a Kaplan test and got 90% your first time, I'd say you were golden for taking the real one.  If you studied the material then took a Kaplan test and got a 40%, then took the test in practice mode and got a 45%, then took the test again in practice mode and got a 65%, then took the test in practice mode and got an 80%, then took the test in certification mode and got a 90%... all that I can say is that you have memorized the questions in the practice test and *might* be OK on the production version.

Beyond that, you might check out some of the study materials I have gathered links to on My Oracle Certification Prep site.  There are a number of of links to free articles and videos on topics relevant to the exam.  If there are any topics that you feel you might be weak on, this would be a reasonable way to improve your knowledge of them before scheduling the exam:

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-052

• 2. Re: How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test

Thank you. This will be very helpful. I understand the concepts of all the topics but it seems to me the exam drills down into the specifics (things like V$ views , initialization params,packages e.t.c) of which as you know, there are hundreds. For me right now its about focusing on the important specifics to pass the exam and but also know those important aspects that will be useful in the real world.

The links you sent already seem to be helping me hone in on some topics.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test
    matthew_morris Expert

OCA-level exams don't tend to go deep, and 1Z0-052 is no exception.  Admin I is a very broad topic, but you don't need to memorize the minutia of every one of the topics.  DBAs don't memorize the name of every single data dictionary view... that's what the reference manual is for... or more often Google.

Picking one topic: "Grant and revoke privileges".  You need to be able to recognize a SQL statement that grants the SELECT privilege on the EMPLOYEES table to user FJONES, Is it:

A) ALTER TABLE employees GRANT SELECT TO fjones;

B) ALTER USER fjones GRANT SELECT ON employees;

C) GRANT SELECT ON employees TO fjones;

D) GRANT SELECT ON TABLE employees TO USER fjones;

However, you do not have to memorize every possible privilege that could be granted to a database user.

• 4. Re: How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test

I see. Sounds like I will need to mostly know the fundamentals, which I feel I know and understand for the most part. I figured no one could memorize all those details but wanted to be sure I was focusing on the right ones for this particular exam. It seems every  time I come across some new sample questions online, there are some aspects I have no idea about regarding a topic that is on the exam. I suppose I will go through all the main points from the books and other sources one more time before I take a test.

Thank you very much for the guidance.

• 5. Re: How do I Pass the Oracle 11g Admin 1 Certification Test
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

As Matthew says "If the production exam has the exact same questions and answers, you should be golden".

The truth is the questions you see in the exam may come as a surprise -- you woud likely see them as different from the practice test.  Different in the sense that they are differently worded, have additional detail or less detail and may not have the same answer "options" as you'd seen in the practice test (even the correct answer may by differently worded).

For the life of me, I cannot understand how those who memorise questions and answers from brain dumps actually pass the exams !

What is needed is fundamental concepts.  So you DO need to read the Oracle documentation (e.g. the Concepts Manual, Administration Guide, SQL Language Reference, Backup and Recovery User Guide) if you do not have much real-world practice.  I also recommend going through an Exam Prep book -- either purchased or borrowed from your local library.  The book will present questions that you would not have seen in the Transcender or Kaplan practice tests.

And final note : Once in a while you might come across a "correct" answer which may be wrong or may be wrong depending on how the question is interpreted.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points