9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2013 8:24 AM by CraigB Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7

E Langford

I'm afraid I have a few issues I'm trying to resolve after being upgraded from XP to Windows 7 64 bit

Note: I have set compatibility to Windows XP SP3 and run as administrator on both Forms builder and the OC4J instance

1. When I try to run Developer Forms Builder it tries to load in Firefox, even though my PC default browser is IE
        • This forced it to complain about needing a plug in
        • I have by-passed the jiinitiator load by adding ?config=jpi to the formsweb.cfg file
        • Note: the server call to the centrally stored forms works okay with java 1.6 jre 32bit installed
      2. The OC4J instance start has the errors below, so not sure if this is significant. 
        • I suspect that the ListenerServlet init() line missing is significant

I have got it to work in the Microsoft Virtual PC - XP mode window - so I'm not desperate just would prefer to get it run in Windows 7 but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Elaine

----------------------------OC4J start output   ---------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\DevSuiteHome_1\jdk\bin\java  -Doracle.security.jazn.config=C:\DevSuiteHome_1\j2ee\DevSuite\config\jazn.xml -Doracle.home=C:\DevSuiteHome_

1 -DORACLE_HOME=C:\DevSuiteHome_1 -jar C:\DevSuiteHome_1\j2ee\home\oc4j.jar -userThreads -config C:\DevSuiteHome_1\j2ee\DevSuite\config\server.xml

13/09/24 11:53:06 Warning: Error reading transaction-log file (/C:/DevSuiteHome_1/j2ee/DevSuite/persistence/transaction.state) for recovery: premature end of file

13/09/24 11:53:06 Forced or abrupt (crash etc) server shutdown detected, starting recovery process...

13/09/24 11:53:06 Recovery completed, 0 connections committed and 0 rolled back.

13/09/24 11:53:07 Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.2.0.2) initialized

13/09/24 11:53:58 FormsServlet init():

configFileName:     C:\DevSuiteHome_1/forms/server/formsweb.cfg

testMode:           false

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
          skud

Hi Elangford,

Oracle forms and reports 10g (10.1.2.0.2) wont run on windows 7 64bit. Better use virtual PC or VMware workstation to run it on XP OS.

Same fustration met before.

• 2. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
            CraigB

skud wrote:

Hi Elangford,

Oracle forms and reports 10g (10.1.2.0.2) wont run on windows 7 64bit. Better use virtual PC or VMware workstation to run it on XP OS.

Same fustration met before.

@skud,
            I beg to differ.  I have Oracle Forms/Reports 10g R2 (10.1.2.0.2) installed and running just fine on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Admittedly, Oracle does not support this configuration, it can and does work.

@Elaine,
            First, I've got a few questions for you.

1.  Are you on a corporate network or home network?
            2.  Which Java version do you have installed?  Please list the full version number. 
            3.  Do you have a 32-bit JRE installed as well as the 64-bit JRE? 
            Since Forms 10g is a 32-bit application it needs the 32-bit JRE installed.  You can have both 32 and 64-bit JRE's installed.
            4.  Regarding Forms using Firefox instead of the default IE browser, sometimes you have to explicitly tell Forms which browser to use - especially since Windows 7 64-bit has a 32 and 64-bit version of IE available.
            To do this, go to the Forms Builder Edit Menu and select Preferences.  Then select the Runtime tab and click the Browse... button next to the Web Browser Location field.  Now, just navigate to the 32-bit version of IE and select the iexplore.exe file.
            5.  When you modified the "formsweb.cfg" what did you have listed for the "jpi_mimetype=" variable?
            If you want to use Firefox you will need to delete the ";jpi-version=1.6.0_??" portion.  For example:

#For IE:
            jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_31
            #For Non-IE:
            jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet

Unfortunately, you can only have one variable declaration so you can't list both.

Hope this helps.

Craig...

• 3. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
              Q_STEPHENSON

Hi all

I concur with Craig.

You can get Oracle Forms 10G release 2 to work on windows by applying the changes to your forms runtime as was suggested by Oracle way back when they stopped supporting the jinitiator. Basically you replacing the jinitiator with the standard JRE.

I got it to work by replacing the following entries in the formsweb.cfg file found under the [default] configuration.  Note my solution will work only if your machine will permit you to download from the Sun downloads website.:

jpi_download_page=http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0027-ABCDEFFEDCBA

jpi_codebase=http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,6,0,41

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet

#;jpi-version=1.6.0_41 so that firefox would load JRE!

baseHTMLjinitiator=basejpi.htm

HTMLdelimiter=%

#Please note the / (forward slash) used with workingDirectory parameter. If you have more #than one directory with .fmx files, add them separated by ‘;’

workingDirectory=

envFile=default.env

Regards

Quintin

• 4. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                E Langford

Hi Craig and Quintin,

thanks for your input. Answers to Craig below...

1) On work network

2/3) java version - I uploaded Java 1.6.0_45 32 bit already - which works with our server stored forms.

I also had Java 1.7.0_25 32 bit but have unchecked this on the Java console so may need to try again with that removed.

4) i was going to try that but curious why Firefox is defaulting.

5) I was hoping to set the 'Mozilla Family' flag in the Java console to get this to work for IE and Firefox, as it does on the Server stored forms, but everytime I do so it seems to reset to unchecked.

I had already copied the formsweb.cfg values from our server file values (with the jre exe stored locally)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

baseHTMLjpi=basejpi.htm

baseHTMLJInitiator=basejpi.htm

archive=frmall.jar,frmwebutil.jar

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA

jpi_codebase=jre-6u45-windows-i586.exe

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;version=1.6

java_version=1.6*

------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox..

I've tried jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet; - but still getting the message 'a plug-in is needed to display this content' but when I search for it it says 'no suitable plugins were found';

Runtime=IE 32 bit

1) The IE session loads but is asking for a Java 7 25 JRE download.

2) I went to uninstall Java 7 and noticed several 64 bit Java installs (!!) so have uninstalled those too.

When I re-ran Forms with IE it was asking for Java 1.4!!

I'll need to close all my browsers, so will try again tomorrow and get back to you.

Many thanks,

Elaine

• 5. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                  E Langford

Please forgive me both - I had renamed my section in frmsweb.cfg, so the run on forms wasn't picking up the changes. Doh!!

Firefox is working - just need to work on IE tomorrow as I have to go now.

Thanks, Elaine

• 6. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                    CraigB

ELangford wrote:

1) On work network

2/3) java version - I uploaded Java 1.6.0_45 32 bit already - which works with our server stored forms.

I also had Java 1.7.0_25 32 bit but have unchecked this on the Java console so may need to try again with that removed.

Elain,

As I mentioned previously, you can have the 32 and 64 bit JRE's installed - this will not cause any problems.  I would not mix JRE versions however.  If you are going to use 1.6.0_45 then install the 32 and 64 bit versions and don't install Java 1.7.

ELangford wrote:

I had already copied the formsweb.cfg values from our server file values (with the jre exe stored locally)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

baseHTMLjpi=basejpi.htm

baseHTMLJInitiator=basejpi.htm

archive=frmall.jar,frmwebutil.jar

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA

jpi_codebase=jre-6u45-windows-i586.exe

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;version=1.6

java_version=1.6*

------------------------------------------------------------

Your jpi_classid= value is not consistent with your jpi_mimetype= value.  Your classid is configured to allow any version of 1.6.0, but your mimetype should be 1.6.0 not 1.6.  As to the java_version=1.6* I'm not familiar with this variable so I don't know what it does.  I recommend you set the jpi_mimetype=1.6.0.

ELangford wrote:

I've tried jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet; - but still getting the message 'a plug-in is needed to display this content' but when I search for it it says 'no suitable plugins were found';

I think at this point I would recommend you uninstall ALL JRE's and then reinstall just the 32 and 64 bit version of 1.6.0_45.  This should eliminate this issue.

ELangford wrote:

Runtime=IE 32 bit

1) The IE session loads but is asking for a Java 7 25 JRE download.

2) I went to uninstall Java 7 and noticed several 64 bit Java installs (!!) so have uninstalled those too.

When I re-ran Forms with IE it was asking for Java 1.4!!

If you uninstall all installed JRE's (as I mentioned above) and reinstall just the 32 and 64 bit version of 1.6.0_45 it should take care of this issue.

Craig...

• 7. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                      E Langford

Hi Craig,

I don't want to contradict someone with such a presence on this forum but I have done some checking prior to this current problem, in regard to which jre to have installed and what settings to use where multiple java versions are present. Do tell me if i've misunderstood something but this is what I found out ....

JPI_MIMETYPE

From oracle document ...

How Do The Jinitiator And JPI/JRE Parameters Work In A Forms Configuration [ID 444105.1]

by *not* specifying the third element of the java version, it will accept any installation of that java version.

ie

Options for the above include the following:

In this example, the use of jpi-version will force the use of a specific or static version. This example would force the use of 1.4.2_15

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_15

In this example, the use of version is similar to using the Dynamic CLSID for IE. This example would permit any version 1.4 or newer to be used. It is important to not include the third digit (1.4.x) in order for this to work correctly.

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;version=1.4

JRE 1.6 / 1.7versions

By setting the config as I have done, I believe I have mapped the info from

How to Configure JDK 1.5 Plug-in so Latest Version of 1.5 is Used When 1.6 is also Installed (Doc ID 461257.1)

and can have Java 1.6 and 1.7 on the same PC.

This worked on my XP machine where I had 1.6 and 1.7 32 bit versions installed. Although I had to make sure I loaded 1.6 then ran my application to recognise the jre version then could install the 1.7 afterwards.

I found that if I put 1.6 and 1.7 on at the same time (on a fresh PC) then the 1.7 verison was picked up and there was an attempt to install jiniitator. This was happening mostly where users were being upgraded to Windows 7. As I was behind them in the upgrade process I'm only now able to check whether this was due to 32 bit and 64 bit versions being installed together, so hopefully will get to the bottom of this soon.

Oracle users are only a small section of our user base and I've only recently inherited the support of this system from a colleague so having to get up to speed on thise between other priorities. In the main Oracle users are okay with having 1.6 only on their PC but some of our other software will download the latest version of java, so I had to attempt to deal with having both on a PC until we can persuade management to drive and fund our upgrade.

Another third-party package also runs old versions of forms, so this may drag on longer than is good for my health!

Thanks again for your input, Elaine

PS will attempt IE later today, after a few meetings, and try to remember to use the correct name for the section. (:roll)

• 8. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                        E Langford

Whoo-hoo

IE works wothout any further changes - just using the explicit call to the 32 bit browser in the Forms Runtime.

Previously this was just running without loading the Form. hey-ho.

PS

I also forgot to explain about the entry in the frmsweb.cfg

java_version=1.6*

the document Oracle document..

- How to use Sun's JRE/JDK 1.6.0_10 java_version / jpi_classid Parameter to Specify a Particular JRE with Multiple Versions on a PC [ID 758823.1]

also suggested this change along with the extra lines in basejpi.htm to include the new "java_version" parameter...

<PARAM NAME="java_version" VALUE="%java_version%">

And the in the <EMBED.... section...

java_version="%java_version%"

Thanks all, Elaine

• 9. Re: Oracle Developer 10.1.2.02 in Windows 7
                          CraigB

ELangford wrote:

Hi Craig,

I don't want to contradict someone with such a presence on this forum but I have done some checking prior to this current problem, in regard to which jre to have installed and what settings to use where multiple java versions are present. Do tell me if i've misunderstood something but this is what I found out ....

Elaine,

No worries...we're all human and prone to mistakes here and there.  I appreciate your clarifications so others will have the correct information.  After your explaination of the java_verions= I do recall seeing this on My Oracle Support, but it was a while ago so it wasn't fresh in my memory.  I'm glad to see you have the problem resolved and for sharing the fix.

Craig...