This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2013 7:15 AM by Helios-GunesEROL RSS

9i to 10g upgrade

mmaller0319 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

We have a 9208 Prod Database running out of 9i binaries in a HP UX Machine.We want to upgrade it to 102030.We tried upgrading it once and we failed .Oracle came back saying we need to apply a binary patch on the 10g Oracle Home as the error we faced is a bug.This is HP UX machine and there are no 10g databases running here.

.Management has asked to do a test run so that upgrade does not fail again.Unfortunately we do not have an identical test env in this case to test the binary patch

Here is how we planned.Please let us know if its wise to do the below.

1)We make a copy of the existing 9208 Database in the same machine as a new SID i.e Clone to a new SID and make it up and running.

2)We apply the binary patch on the 10203.

3)Attempt the upgrade .If it goes fine we are good.

4)If the upgrade does not go fine and brings up new suprises(Say Oracle come back and says another patch is required),Will we have already done irreversible damage to our binaries ?

Is there a good way to revert back the upgrade to binaries?

Will the inventory be corrupt?

Is there a way to get back to old binaries if the applied patch did not help or if Oracle says to apply new patch.?

Finally will all the above create an issue to the existing 9i Database?

-DBA

• 1. Re: 9i to 10g upgrade
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

We have a 9208 Prod Database running out of 9i binaries in a HP UX Machine.We want to upgrade it to 102030.We tried upgrading it once and we failed .Oracle came back saying we need to apply a binary patch on the 10g Oracle Home as the error we faced is a bug.This is HP UX machine and there are no 10g databases running here.

.Management has asked to do a test run so that upgrade does not fail again.Unfortunately we do not have an identical test env in this case to test the binary patch

Here is how we planned.Please let us know if its wise to do the below.

1)We make a copy of the existing 9208 Database in the same machine as a new SID i.e Clone to a new SID and make it up and running.

What was the error encountered during the upgrade ? What was the patch suggested by Support ? Is the patch for the 9028 HOME or the 10203 HOME ? See MOS Doc 559863.1 on how to clone the 9208 ORACLE_HOME.

2)We apply the binary patch on the 10203.

3)Attempt the upgrade .If it goes fine we are good.

OK - sounds good.

4)If the upgrade does not go fine and brings up new suprises(Say Oracle come back and says another patch is required),Will we have already done irreversible damage to our binaries ?

No - you will have to install 10g binaries into a separate / new HOME - this does not affect any existing HOMEs.

Is there a good way to revert back the upgrade to binaries?

Which binaires ? Restore from backups of HOMEs that you should take as needed.

Will the inventory be corrupt?

Which inventory ? You can have separate inventories for each Oracle install - see MOS Doc 564192.1 - Q2

Is there a way to get back to old binaries if the applied patch did not help or if Oracle says to apply new patch.?

Follow the steps in the README of the patch to uninstall - or restore the HOME from backups.

Finally will all the above create an issue to the existing 9i Database?

-DBA

Not if you follow all of the clone/install/upgrade/patch steps carefully.

Finally - why 10.2.0.3 ? 10gR2 is already de-supported - you should be targeting at least 10.2.0.5 - preferably 11gR2

HTH
    Srini

• 2. Re: 9i to 10g upgrade
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE

Hi;

I suggest review:

Migration of Oracle Database Instances Across OS Platforms[ID 733205.1]
    How To Use RMAN CONVERT DATABASE on Source Host for Cross Platform Migration [ID 413586.1]

Frequently Asked Questions about Restoring Or Duplicating Between Different Versions And Platforms (Doc ID 369644.1)
    Cross-Platform Database Migration (across same endian) using RMAN Transportable Database (Doc ID 1401921.1)
    RMAN DUPLICATE/RESTORE/RECOVER Mixed Platform Support (Doc ID 1079563.1)

Regard

Helios

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points