4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2013 2:52 PM by User328666 RSS

Stable Version in Oracle Database 12c

Arun Natarajan-OC

Hi Friends,

Currently i am using Oracle 11.2.0.1(64 Bit) on windows (64 bit) . we would like it to upgrae to Oracle 12c.

Kindly let me know the stable version in Oracle Database 12c (64 Bit)?

Regards,

DB

• 1. Re: Stable Version in Oracle Database 12c
          EdStevens

842399 wrote:

Hi Friends,

Currently i am using Oracle 11.2.0.1(64 Bit) on windows (64 bit) . we would like it to upgrae to Oracle 12c.

Kindly let me know the stable version in Oracle Database 12c (64 Bit)?

Regards,

DB

For 12c ?

The "stable" version would be, by definition, the only version that is available ... 12.1

• 2. Re: Stable Version in Oracle Database 12c
            Helios-GunesEROL

Hi;

If oracle has been release one product which mean its already stable... By the way most of ppl or company wait until 12c release 2 which has fixed bug list

PS:Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
            Helios

• 3. Re: Stable Version in Oracle Database 12c
              HDeiby

The stable version is: 12.1.0.1

• 4. Re: Stable Version in Oracle Database 12c
                User328666

You have to understand that in programming there is a distinction between "stable enough to go public" and "it can run your production databases without issue".  Stable means it is stable enough to be publicly released with issues to be addressed by tech support and other resources, and with patches to be made public at a later date. If you are comfortable putting the software in production ahead of the bug fixes, go for it.   (The more features you use the more issues you can encounter, and the less common the option the longer you'll wait for the bugs to be fixed).

8.0, 9.0, and 10.1 all caused tremendous issues for my customers.  As a rule they no longer deploy any Release 1 software from any vendor, Oracle included.  For example, with products like Oracle ASM and RAC we found 11.2.0.3 to be minimally required, and that meant waiting several years and paying for extended 10gR2 support services. I talked to a lot of DBAs at the recent OpenWorld who plan to wait 18 months until the first patchset comes out, and a few DBAs said their companies would wait 3 years until 12cR2 comes out.  I had also encountered many of the things they were talking about, and I'll probably just use 12cR1 for learning purposes and wait a few more years myself.