This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 10:53 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro

landyman Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

Trying to install Oracle DB 12c on my Windows 8 Pro PC. When I double click on setup, I get the console window popup... but then nothing.
installActions log file looks like this:

Using paramFile: D:\database\install\oraparam.ini

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors.    Actual 4294967296    Passed

The number of files bootstrapped for the jre is 0.

The number of files bootstrapped for the oui is 0.

Any suggestions? I've installed the most recent JDK.

• 1. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

Just to add... I just got done re-imaging the machine after the install also failed to launch on Windows 8.1. So... I installed windows 8 Pro x64, installed critical updates, installed JDK, then tried to launch setup. Poof, nothing.

• 2. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Pl confirm that you are following all of the steps in the fine Install Guide - try right-clicking setup.exe and select "Run As Administrator".

HTH
    Srini

• 3. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

I understand starting with the no-brainer question... however I am following the Oracle documentation: Oracle® Database

As listed in section 4, operating system support:

* Windows 8 x64 - Pro and Enterprise editions

The document (Section 11) does not specifically state to right click and "Run as Administrator", it states:

"4. Double-click setup.exe to start Oracle Universal Installer."

This is of course, while logged in as an Administrator as indicated in step 1.

I did, however, attempt to perform "Run as Administrator" both by right clicking in windows [edit]explorer, and by running a Command Prompt as Administrator then launching setup.exe from there. Same result.

• 4. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE

Hi,

Can you try to run setup under install folder?

Regard

Helios

• 5. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

What would be helpful is if someone can tell me HOW to figure out WHAT the actual problem is. For example, can I turn on debugging or verbose logging in the installer? How do I do that? What things does OUI look for before it dies? What are the things that could cause it to die? Does, for example, relocating your "Users" directory to another drive besides C as I have done cause a problem - even though it shouldn't.

• 6. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE

Hi;

I have been  faced similar issue before on windows platform and I have been solved with what I shared here.

If you thing we can not help you or if you dont like our respose than you can open SR and get support from oracle.

If you want to solve issue wiht notes here is the notes

Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) FAQ (Doc ID 458893.1)

How Can You Capture Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) Exit Codes In Windows ? (Doc ID 559643.1)

Debugging the Oracle Universal Installer(OUI) on Windows (Doc ID 71919.1)

Oracle Universal Installer ( OUI ) Error Messages and Solution Reference List (Doc ID 757964.1)

This is the my last repsonse for your issue

Best luck to you on your issue

Regard

Helios

• 7. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

What does "I have been solved with what I shared here" mean? How do you know if the issue is similar if you have yet to see any meaningful diagnostic information?

When I reply to posts, I attempt to give the user a list of things they can do, with samples. I appreciate that you are attempting to do this, but I would guess you are linking to MetaLink articles which, if I'm not mistaken, are not available to the 'general public' ?

Although thus far your posts have proven unhelpful, thank you for taking the time to reply.

• 8. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro

Execute setup.exe with the "-debug" option - "setup.exe -debug"

HTH
    Srini

• 9. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

Sorry for the delay. Sadly, this yielded no additional information in any log files. I installed JDK 1.6 as well. One thing I did notice is that in Java Control Panel, you can see 1.6 and 1.7 in the "USER" list, but only 1.7 in the "SYSTEM" list.

Could this problem perhaps be caused by OUI being unable to find JDK 1.6 right away? Would this be logged anywhere?

• 10. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

I've added the JAVA_HOME pointing to the 1.6 jre, and the jre/bin folder to the path. Still no information in logs.

• 11. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro

Can you post the contents from the debug log ? If you have a support contract with Oracle, pl also open an SR

Srini

• 12. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

My company has a support contract with Oracle, the DBAs have access... but I am attempting to learn some things at home, reading Tom Kyte's books. Per his book... it's all free to use until you go into Production. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be springing for personal Oracle support. If I can call them and ask them (and they don't want hundreds of dollars to ask a question) I'm happy to report it.

I've re-imaged the machine with fresh Windows 7 x64, SP1. Neither 12c (client/grid/database) or 11gR2 database will get past double clicking on setup.exe. I'm starting to think somehow it's hardware related but no other software is exhibiting any problems. Windows, Visual Studio all installed and work just fine. I had Oracle running on this machine before... on Win7 64 11gR2 ASM and DB, I don't get it. I wish that window didn't just fly away and leave me with nothing to go on.

Here is all I get in my AppData temp folder from installActions.log, trying to install clusterware in this instance, but it does the same regardless of if I try and install client, clusterware, database.

-- BEGIN installActionsxxxxx.log--

Using paramFile: C:\grid\install\oraparam.ini

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors.    Actual 4294967296    Passed

The number of files bootstrapped for the jre is 0.

The number of files bootstrapped for the oui is 0.

--END--

• 13. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro

Pl confirm that -

1. your hostname does not have any special or weird characters

2. your admin account name/password does not have any special or weird characters

3. the free space on the drive you are installing on is less then 2 TB

HTH
    Srini

• 14. Re: OUI will not start on Windows 8 Pro
    landyman Newbie

Srini,

1 - no

2 - no, just alpha numeric mixed case

3 - This may be it!! Configuration is as follows:

C: - 64BG SSD

D: - 3TB Spinning

3x 1TB Spinning to be used for ASM

I want ORACLE_HOME to be D:\Oracle

Is storage > 2TB a problem?!? Do I need to repartition the drive to make it work? Is it only the ORACLE_HOME drive, or will OUI balk at ANY connected device > 2TB? Is Oracle going to resolve this at some point?

If this is the case, I'll probably go buy a new SSD that is big enough for my OS and Oracle, then I can use the 64GB SSD for temp space.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points