This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 1:45 AM by 975148 RSS

Use of NTP pool in NTP configuration

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I had the following queries with respect to the use of NTP pool in the NTP configuration on RHEL:

1) I see the following public servers  from the pool.ntp.org project in the default /etc/ntp.conf file.

server  0.rhel.pool.ntp.org

server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org

Would using these servers be fine or are there servers specific to India as we are located in India?

2) Time to be taken from the public servers above may not be ideal, I was wondering how much could the difference in time be say over a 1 month period?

I hope, my question is clear.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

• 1. Re: Use of NTP pool in NTP configuration
    TommyReynolds Expert

1) I see the following public servers  from the pool.ntp.org project in the default /etc/ntp.conf file.

server  0.rhel.pool.ntp.org

server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org

Would using these servers be fine or are there servers specific to India as we are located in India?

Use the <n>.in.pool.org servers because they are much closer to you.

2) Time to be taken from the public servers above may not be ideal, I was wondering how much could the difference in time be say over a 1 month period?

How long is a piece of string?  Your question is unanswerable.  Syncing with external clock references is fine because you can use as many reference clocks as it takes you to feel comfortable; I'd suggest 4 or 5, and also turn on the local software reference clock.

111111112dsfsdfsdfsdfsdf
  • 2. Re: Use of NTP pool in NTP configuration
    975148 Newbie

Thanks for your answer. I had a query with the first point as below:

1) How many numbers could be in <n>.in.pool.org. I feel there may be couple of them like 0.in.pool.org & 1.in.pool.org. Or can they go up to even like 9.in.pool.org also as an example.

I hope my question is clear.

Request you to please revert.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points