This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 7:13 AM by User328666 RSS

Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?

james_p Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Grid Version:11.2.0.3

Can I have same ORACLE_BASE location for Grid (CRS) and RDBMS software Homes ?

• 1. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    TSharma-Oracle Guru

Why NOT? You can use the same Oracle base directory for more than one installation. But for the role separation, you can install in different oracle bases.

• 2. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    gottikere Explorer

yes you can have. But if you are going for production env, than better to keep it separately.

Thanks,

gssdba.wordpress.com

• 3. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi,

Yes, You may have.

You can have the same Oracle base, while installation you can install GRID and RDBMS on different directories such as:

assuming /u01/app/oracle is your Oracle Base

- /u01/app/oracle/grid  -- for grid

- /u01/app/oracle/rdbms -- for database

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 4. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    Anar Godjaev Expert

Hi,

RDBMS HOME=/opt/oracle/product/11.2/db_2

GI HOME=/opt/oracle/product/11.2/grid

Thank you

• 5. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    VictorBespalko Newbie

james_p wrote:

james_p,

It's strictly recommended to use different ORACLE_BASE directories for GI and RDMBS.

Regards,

Victor.

• 6. Re: Can i have same ORACLE_BASE directory location for Grid and RDBMS home ?
    User328666 Newbie

The OFA guideline for ORACLE_BASE is /u01/app/<owner>.  If you are using the same owner for all software (let's call him "oracle") then a simple installation will have one base /u01/app/oracle.  This base will be shared by all installations of Grid and RDBMS software.  But, if you use two separate owners (let's call them grid and oracle) then you will have two separate ORACLE_BASE locations /u01/app/oracle and /u01/app/grid.  I always use two separate owners, but I know many people who only use the oracle account and that is fine too.

Oracle allows every ORACLE_HOME to have a unique base.  There is no requirement to install more than one ORACLE_HOME under a given ORACLE_BASE location.  This is just an extension of what I said above, that the ORACLE_HOMEs for Grid and RDBMS can be stored under separate ORACLE_BASEs. 

If you are using RAC then I strongly suggest you read chapter 1 of the Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide.  Read section "Overview of Oracle Base and Oracle Home Directories". The rules for ORACLE_BASE are as I noted above, but the rules for ORACLE_HOME change: the Grid ORACLE_HOME is not to be a sub-directory of the Grid ORACLE_BASE as it is when not using RAC.  So, with RAC your directory structure might look more like this:

su -

umask 0022
    mkdir -p /u01/app/oraInventory

# Grid Base
    mkdir -p /u01/app/grid
    # Grid Home

mkdir -p /u01/app/12.1.0.1/grid

# Oracle  Base

mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle
    # Oracle Home

mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0.1/db_1

# Ownership for all of the above...

chown grid:oinstall /u01/app/grid
    chown grid:oinstall /u01/app/oraInventory
    chown grid:oinstall /u01/app/12.1.0.1
    chown grid:oinstall /u01/app/12.1.0.1/db_1
    chown oracle:oinstall /u01/app/oracle

My examples show 12.1.0.1 but it's the same for 11.2.0.3.

There's no requirement to create the home directories prior to running the OUI.  It can create them for you.  I just shown these commands to help you understand the big picture.

The OUI will pop-up a warning if the Grid user's ORACLE_HOME is outside of his ORACLE_BASE as shown in the above mkdir commands, which is funny since it is the recommended setup in the Oracle RAC documentation.  I submitted a bug report several years ago.  To be consistent across all of my RAC and non-RAC servers I follow the more strict rules of RAC and use the mkdir commands shown above.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points