This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2013 1:49 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    ankitbarsainya Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

sb92075 wrote:

ankitbarsainya wrote:

Agree with your suggestion to deploy packet sniffing software to get to the root of this issue. Although I hardly think this is an application bug but more of a network issue.

This is a network issue and probably not one related to oracle database.

Also if possible the next time before someone logs in to the database you can probably try tnsping for the database from a client to see if the connection is being made to the database or not, I'm quiet certain that the connection request is not reaching the database.

Once this is confirmed you can connect with your network team to narrow down on the real issue.

Hope this helps,

Ankit Barsainya

tnsping NEVER, EVER reports any detail regarding status of the DATABASE!

tnsping can only report about existence & status of listener!

I'm not expecting there to be any report but just the confirmation whether or not application is able to connect with the database.

This way we will be able to figure out if the connection is being made at all or not.

This is just a way of trying to pin point the exact issue in this case.

Corrections Welcome,

Ankit Barsainya

• 16. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    sb92075 Guru

ankitbarsainya wrote:

sb92075 wrote:

ankitbarsainya wrote:

Agree with your suggestion to deploy packet sniffing software to get to the root of this issue. Although I hardly think this is an application bug but more of a network issue.

This is a network issue and probably not one related to oracle database.

Also if possible the next time before someone logs in to the database you can probably try tnsping for the database from a client to see if the connection is being made to the database or not, I'm quiet certain that the connection request is not reaching the database.

Once this is confirmed you can connect with your network team to narrow down on the real issue.

Hope this helps,

Ankit Barsainya

tnsping can only report about existence & status of listener!

I'm not expecting there to be any report but just the confirmation whether or not application is able to connect with the database.

This way we will be able to figure out if the connection is being made at all or not.

This is just a way of trying to pin point the exact issue in this case.

Corrections Welcome,

Ankit Barsainya

>I'm not expecting there to be any report but just the confirmation whether or not application is able to connect with the database.

which part of the above do you not understand?

post reproducible test case using COPY & PASTE to demonstrate your statement is true & valid

• 17. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    ankitbarsainya Newbie

Are you suggesting when the below command is executed we won't even get a notification for whether or not the connection was successfully made:

tnsping RACNODE1

Assuming ofcourse RACNODE1 is a valid database instance which is up and running and reachable?

I'd suggest YOU to check if there is anything returned by the above statement.

For the record it'll provide you with network lag when tried to connect to the database along with other details.

Regards,

Ankit Barsainya

• 18. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    sb92075 Guru

ankitbarsainya wrote:

Are you suggesting when the below command is executed we won't even get a notification for whether or not the connection was successfully made:

tnsping RACNODE1

Assuming ofcourse RACNODE1 is a valid database instance which is up and running and reachable?

For the record it'll provide you with network lag when tried to connect to the database along with other details.

Regards,

Ankit Barsainya

please comment on what is posted below & explain how tnsping reports success against DOWN database!

[oracle@localhost ~]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 01-OCT-2013 09:23:05

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))

STATUS of the LISTENER

------------------------

Alias                     LISTENER

Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

Start Date                28-SEP-2013 05:38:10

Uptime                    3 days 3 hr. 44 min. 56 sec

Trace Level               off

Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP                      OFF

Listener Parameter File   /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2/network/admin/listener.ora

Listener Log File         /home/oracle/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/localhost/listener/alert/log.xml

Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=80))(PROTOCOL_STACK=(PRESENTATION=HTTP)(SESSION=RAW)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=21))(PROTOCOL_STACK=(PRESENTATION=FTP)(SESSION=RAW)))

Services Summary...

Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "orcl", status READY, has 2 handler(s) for this service...

Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

The command completed successfully

[oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Tue Oct 1 09:23:21 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> shutdown immediate

Database closed.

Database dismounted.

ORACLE instance shut down.

SQL> exit

Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

[oracle@localhost ~]$ tnsping orcl

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 01-OCT-2013 09:24:17

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 0.0.0.0)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))

OK (30 msec)

[oracle@localhost ~]$

• 19. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru

ankitbarsainya wrote:

tnsping RACNODE1

That is exactly what we are saying.

You can get a 'successful' tnsping against a non-existent database, as long as the net service name references a reachable IP address with a listener on the specified port.

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tnsping-101/  (tnsping-101 )

Regards,

Ankit Barsainya

• 20. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    ankitbarsainya Newbie

Thanks for sharing this with me.

But I'm primarily focusing on the problem mentioned in the titled and here we are aware that the database is existing along with the listener.

All I'm asking to check here is whether or not tnsping is able to make the connection to the said listener so that we can confirm that issue is not with the database but the network.

Anyway the point is moot now that OP has gone back to consult with his network team.

Regards,

Ankit Barsainya

• 21. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    Mark D Powell Guru

Raju, what full version of Oracle is the target datbase?  What kind of applciation?  Running locally or remote using what version of the Oracle client?  What full version of the OS supports the database, the applciation?

We have encountered numerous ORA-03114 errors over the years which would occur causing the existing connection to be broken, but almost all of these errors were due to version specific bugs and a couple of these bugs were also platform specific.

Do you have DCD (dead connection detection) in use?  There is an Oracle support note 1550470.1 about DCD and this issue.  There are also current notes for EBS auto-invoicing, datapump, rman, and some other products hitting this error but I did not see any note about just connecting.

Since you should know what kind of front-end application is in use and the code base it is written in you should be able to perform a better problem search on support.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 22. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    TSharma-Oracle Guru

Instead of spending time here, as somebody suggested above , start the client level 16 trace on your application server and upload those to support or here. Somebody should be able to read and diagnose from those traces. It should be easy because its not intermittent and you have a pattern when that error occurs.You do not have to wait. Just start the trace right before you start the app and close it right after you get the error in order to avoid the huge log.

Also, Do you start the application everyday? Keep an eye on the system resource when you try to connect to oracle for first time everyday.

• 23. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    jgarry Guru

Are you sure it is not something like the user starting to work before dns has properly served the location of the server?  I often have that issue with my home ISP and websites, no Oracle involved.  A couple of reload page and all is fine.  Stupid ISP.

• 24. Re: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru

ankitbarsainya wrote:

Thanks for sharing this with me.

But I'm primarily focusing on the problem mentioned in the titled and here we are aware that the database is existing along with the listener.

All I'm asking to check here is whether or not tnsping is able to make the connection to the said listener so that we can confirm that issue is not with the database but the network.

Anyway the point is moot now that OP has gone back to consult with his network team.

Regards,

Ankit Barsainya

All I'm asking to check here is whether or not tnsping is able to make the connection to the said listener

Now you are saying to use it to check the connection to the listener.

Previously you were saying to check the connection to the database.

"try tnsping for the database from a client to see if the connection is being made to the database"

"I'm not expecting there to be any report but just the confirmation whether or not application is able to connect with the database"

"Are you suggesting when the below command is executed we won't even get a notification for whether or not the connection was successfully made:

tnsping RACNODE1

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points