This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2013 11:56 PM by JohnWatson RSS

Manually create RAC DB

james_p Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Grid Version:11.2.0.3

I have succesfully installed cluster (GI) and installed RDBMS software on my 2-Node RAC . But, I don't want to use dbca to create the database due to some custom requirements. Instead , I want to run CREATE DATABASE command manually to create the RAC DB.

Once the DB is created in one node, what are the steps I need to do to make this DB a RAC DB?

• 1. Re: Manually create RAC DB
    gottikere Explorer

Hi James,

Database is common for both the instances. Once the database is created , login to another node and try to query v$database.

1. SELECT NAME FROM GV$DATABASE;

2. check for the listener.

Thanks,

Satish.G.S

gssdba.wordpress.com

• 2. Re: Manually create RAC DB
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

If you want to see the steps needed to create a RAC db, then use DBCA and select generate scripts as option. Abort DBCA after the scripts have been created. Use these scripts as reference for manual creation of RAC db.

If you want to simply convert a single instance database to RAC, refer to the manual: Converting to Oracle RAC and Oracle RAC One Node from Single-Instance Oracle Databases.

• 3. Re: Manually create RAC DB
    james_p Newbie

Thank you Billy

Abort DBCA after the scripts have been created.

I wish oracle will let me generate the scripts without actually initiating DB creation. But that is not the case. On dbca's last screen where you check 'Generate scripts' you must press 'Finish' button which actually initiate the DB creation. Aborting the DB creation doesn't seem to be neat.

• 4. Re: Manually create RAC DB
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

You can also abort the DBCA process by simply killing/interrupting its Xsession. Or shutting down the VNCserver it is running in. At the moment it starts its create db processing.

I'm pretty sure DBCA won't mind.

But I do agree - definitely not neat.

• 5. Re: Manually create RAC DB
    JohnWatson Guru

james_p wrote:

Thank you Billy

Abort DBCA after the scripts have been created.

I wish oracle will let me generate the scripts without actually initiating DB creation. But that is not the case. On dbca's last screen where you check 'Generate scripts' you must press 'Finish' button which actually initiate the DB creation. Aborting the DB creation doesn't seem to be neat.

You did not de-select the "create database" check box.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points