1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2013 5:09 AM by Catch-22 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
        jgarry

Maybe I don't understand what you are asking, but if you can't just delete and type over the text in the link, you can go into the html editor and put replace whatever you want over the <a href...>text to display</a>.  Like so.

• 16. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
          Catch-22

I found an even easier way. Simply paste the link without https: and then add https: afterwards. For instance:

https://forums.oracle.com/community/developer/english/technology_network_community/community_feedback_and_suggestions_(do_not_post_product-related_questions_here)/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

The problem is the following: When I paste a link into a the editor window it shows [A], where I can click and set various options. The only option available until very recently is unlink, but there used to be more, such as showing the actual URL. Perhaps it fixes the issue to enter normal text after pasting a link. I can now click the a line beneath a link and can enter regular text, which did not work before, if I remember correctly. I worked around this issue by switching to HTML and back.

Anyway, users should not have to worry about such things and troubleshoot the editor.

• 17. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
            BluShadow

Dude wrote:

As far as I can tell, direct links to Discussions (including ...[thread]) show bold titles only after I open at least one of the discussions first.

How did you post the link showing ... [Thread] ? I cannot paste such links into the editor window. When I click on the A to modify link preferences, I don't see the usual options anymore to disable auto-title to show the actual URL. Perhaps something has just screwed up again?

Whatever, I'm getting bored and tired of the problems with the forum editor. It's a waste of time and effort! And I guess even reporting any issues with the forum software is a waste of time and effort because nothing won't be fixed here, instead features are either turned off or problems are ignored.

to the best of my knowledge the problems are not being ignored, they're being worked on, but also they are not just rolled out as and when available, they are being scheduled by admin to be applied on certain dates (I think the idea was that it would be no more frequent than monthly updates, but it probably depends on how quickly the Jive developers get their arses into gear!)

As for posting links without them 'auto titling' if you past the link so it does auto-title, and then Ctrl-Z it does an "undo" action on the auto titling and reverts it back to a link...

https://forums.oracle.com/community/developer/english/oracle_database/general_questions/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

• 18. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
              Nicolas.Gasparotto

>but it probably depends on how quickly the Jive developers get their arses into gea

If that's done as quickly as it was for the email change (remember old days over here), that won't be fixed before 2018.

>As for posting links without them 'auto titling' if you past the link so it does auto-title, and then Ctrl-Z it does an "undo" action on the auto titling and reverts it back to a link...

One more very "intuitive" thingy from that bloddy Jive software, if I past a link from anywhere, my pointer go back to the front of the url, or it continues the link, all but not what we can expect.

As for all the recommandation above, including the one that Ed' pointed out with this Content view and bold threads. Why, oh why they are incapable to do this on all views ??? I'm not using Content view which is not used by default (if I'm going to Home, then Oracle Database, then General Question, it's not coming on Content but on Overview).

Honestly, I'm really really fade up with such a product. And damned the formatting. Since I don't want to spend hours for this regards, I don't do it at all.

Nicolas.

• 19. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                Nicolas.Gasparotto

Oh yes, from the Communications tab, I can reply, but I cannot quote, go to advance editor, and edit my previous post neither. I'm forced to go to the discussion for this. Too bad.

Nicolas.

• 20. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                  BluShadow

Nicolas.Gasparotto wrote:

One more very "intuitive" thingy from that bloddy Jive software, if I past a link from anywhere, my pointer go back to the front of the url, or it continues the link, all but not what we can expect.

Oh yeah, that's a pain in the ...

I usually hit return a few times to ensure I've got some blank lines beneath where I want to past it, so I can 'recover' my cursor and carry on typing after it, otherwise it ends up stuck in the link.

• 21. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                    Catch-22

Yes, interesting, ctrl-z (undo) works and reverts a the bare URL after posting a link. But how intuitive is this?

But here is the strange part:

I just pasted another link and was given the options to "unlink", "bare url", and "auto-title" as usual. So I tried pasting the same link into a previous discussion and again it does not work, then I try again in this discussion and it still works and now it also works in the previous discussion. So it seems the feature works or does not based on some unknown issue.

• 22. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                      BluShadow

Dude wrote:

Yes, interesting, ctrl-z (undo) works and reverts a the bare URL after posting a link. But how intuitive is this?

Well... erm... obviously it was intuitive to me as that's what I've always intuitively done to revert them back where I wanted the URL shown. 

• 23. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                        Catch-22

Well, If I paste a link and press ctrl-z, my idea of the function was to undo the paste of the link, rather than changing it to show the bare url. But whatever.

• 24. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                          Catch-22

I have not much of an opinion about patches other than there is extremely slow progress. Has there been much progress within the last couple of month?

The overview window still wastes 50 % of the screen with empty left and right columns.

Using the forum on an iPhone was better in the old system.

The new editor is still a piece of junk.

If you click the Home link English it shows some partial bullets and listing, which looks unprofessional.

etc. ,etc.

Sorry to say, I'm not impressed with the presentation of the new forum. I understand that Oracle does not make this software, and I can only imagine what troublesome piece of software it might be, but others at least managed to create a more reasonable web interface and have less features turned off.

The current forum interface reminds me of a Christmas tree, showing all kinds of available bells and whistles the software can do. Whoever designed the forum interface (Jive developers) need to be sent to training to learn about user interface guidelines and ergonomics.

• 25. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                            jgarry

Some of us who have worked on different systems may have different kinesthesiology affecting what we think is intuitive.  Personally, I have issues with control z, c, d, f, s, and v, and anything having to do with alt, arrow, or non-numeric keypad keys.  Blame edt, vi, notepad, various browsers and office software.

Then again, I still have people look at me quizzically when I say to press Return.

• 26. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                              BluShadow

Yep, that's why the "" on the end of me saying it was intuitive to me.... as, of course, intuitivity is definitely subjective.

Things like vi are those that you would think are the least intuitive, with all it's special keypresses to do thinks, though I'm an old hat at it myself so I can pick it up and use no problem, whereas colleagues I work with have to keep asking me "how do I <insert chosen vi functionality here>?"

I guess because I'm constantly using a mixture of Windoze and Unix tools, and have been doing so for 20 odd years (oh yeah, remember Windows 2.0! ) I don't have a problem with picking up how to use new tools, as long as they use some standard features.

Then again, I still have people look at me quizzically when I say to press Return.

Yeah, why is one called "Enter" and the other an Arrow? and where is "Return" exactly? and where is the Tab key, as I've only got this button with two arrows on it?  (no need to answer that. )

(It's surprising how many people don't know where the name "tab" key came from... these bloomin' youngsters who've never seen a typewriter... hehe!)

• 27. Re: Curious observation re: Content listing
                                Catch-22

Many if not most people may have a rather pragmatic view, which certainly applies to newcomers, but it is often sufficient to deal with a problem at hand. Computer standards were not necessarily defined by the intuitive mind and are historically limited by known technology and available resources.

Software developers, often depending on their background, do not necessarily have the skill set to know what it takes to create administrator or user friendly software. And unfortunately, many Oracle products and the Unix operating system make no exception.

For anyone interested in concepts of software ergonomics, I recommend the following: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Intro/Intro.html.

1 2 Previous Next