This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2013 3:05 AM by Dude! RSS

[off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?

ranit B Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Experts,

In the old JIVE forum, we had two tags - { code } and { quote }   (without spaces)

In this new forum, quote tags are there... but can anybody please tell me how to bring the { code } tags?

Like the one used here - https://forums.oracle.com/message/11041702

( { code } tags - White vertical stripes )

-- Ranit

• 1. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    Dude! Guru

The new forum does not use code and quote tags anymore.

You can use the advanced editor and use Syntax Highlighting from the >> tool. You can play with it and perhaps you'll find it entertaining. In case you find it is completely screwed up and useless when editing your code, your are not the first to notice. To quote something, select the text and press the Quote button.

Btw, from what I can tell, pretty much all of my previous postings containing code, header and pre tags are screwed up. These messages were not properly migrated from the old forum system, despite the general perception everything went fine, but I guess who cares!?

• 2. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    ranit B Expert

Hi Dude,

Thanks for responding. Did you manage to check the link I posted previously? I used the { code } tags there.

Just wanted to know how to get those "white vertical lines" around my code. They look neat, decent and still preserve the code formatting. (unlike the Syntax highlighting >>)

I did some decoding in HTML mode, with <code> and <pre> tags and CSS "class=jive-pre" ... but no good.

Are you getting my concern... Any pointers?

-- Ranit

• 3. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    SomeoneElse Guru

Go into Advanced Editor

Paste your code

Highlight your code and change the font to Courier New (make sure all the code gets changed, you may have to do this more than once)

While it's still highlighted, click on >> then Quote

• 4. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    jgarry Guru

Yes, the others have the correct answer, but you can also get the quoting lines by playing with the pre syntax in the html editor.  You have to be careful to move the </pre> tags to the right place in the hierarchy, and there seems to be some pre- and post- processing going on that might mess it up anyways - when the system is slow and you go into the advanced editor, you can get a glimpse of some of that happening.  I think that is why they can't get it right, it's too helpful.  I gave up trying to figure it out, except when it won't work and I have to futz with it (sometimes when you quote, it all gets quoted and there's no way to add an unquoted line).

Here I added a <pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote" jivemacro="quote"> and an associated </pre> on your "Thanks for responding" line:

ranitB wrote:

Hi Dude,

Thanks for responding. Did you manage to check the link I posted previously? I used the { code } tags there.

Just wanted to know how to get those "white vertical lines" around my code. They look neat, decent and still preserve the code formatting. (unlike the Syntax highlighting >>)

I did some decoding in HTML mode, with <code> and <pre> tags and CSS "class=jive-pre" ... but no good.

Are you getting my concern... Any pointers?

-- Ranit

• 5. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

SomeoneElse wrote:

Go into Advanced Editor

Paste your code

Highlight your code and change the font to Courier New (make sure all the code gets changed, you may have to do this more than once)

While it's still highlighted, click on >> then Quote

Or "while it's still highlighted, click on the quote button" (which is quicker than using the >> and Quote option) 

• 6. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

ranitB wrote:

Hi Dude,

Yes, a lot of the old posts that used the code tags in the forum were migrated and show correctly, though as dude points out, there were many posts where it screwed up for some reason.

• 7. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    ranit B Expert

Something like this?

JUST TRYING... My CODE goes here...
  • 8. Re: [off-topic] How to {code} and {quote} tags?
    Dude! Guru

Also, you might want to check the following:

Copy of text results in double line spacing.

I think it is important when you provide code for the purpose of cutting and pasting.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points