6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 9:53 AM by Bazza RSS

SAN Boot from 3 PAR and Oracle Branded emulex HBA

Bazza

Hi,

Currently have a T2000 running solaris 10  U3.

I have presented space from a 3PAR system and have setup multipathing for 3PAR.

I have then partitioned this 3PAR disk.

using lucreate, I have created an ABE on the 3PAR disk and upgraded this to solaris 10u11

I have emulex LPe-11000-S HBA's and these have boot enabled.

Luactivate does not work - I have an SR open with oracle currently and they have advised me to manually set the boot device

I do the following

1) luactivate <ABE>

2) init 0

3) create  an alias for the hba boot disk.

4) boot

It fails to start:

{0} ok boot

Boot device: sanboot1a  File and args:

WARNING: max-cpus property missing from MD platform node, using default NCPU value

SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_147147-26 64-bit

Copyright (c) 1983, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

WARNING: emlxs1: Firmware update required.

(To trigger an update, a manual HBA or link reset using luxadm, fcadm, or emlxadm is required.)

WARNING: emlxs0: Firmware update required.

(To trigger an update, a manual HBA or link reset using luxadm, fcadm, or emlxadm is required.)

Cross trap sync timeout:  at cpu_sync.xword[0]: 0x1010

SC Alert: SC Request to Reset Host due to Watchdog

SC Alert: Host System has Reset

SC Alert: Host system has shut down.

{0} ok

Under the original boot environment there are no messages in the messages file complaining about firmware for the HBA.

I think when it tries to boot from the ABE, it is detecting the mismatch in firmware on the HBA and the new kernel of the ABE and throws the above warning and shuts down. As the current firmware level is not supported by 3PAR, I need to upgrade the firmare on the oracle HBA's

I'm working with oracle to establish what patches I need to do on the original boot environment but progress/response from oracle is sooooo slow. I have also read conflicting advice on whether it's oracle solaris packages that are required or a download direct from emulex.

If anyone has any pointers on any of the above, I would appreciate it.

Thanks