This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 1:04 AM by crok RSS

SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable

crok Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

We were happily using 4 EA1, despite the obvious bugs it seemed stable enough and not so slow..

We have started using EA2 since it came out, and it seems much more buggy, very slow, and very unstable - crashing several times per day on Mac OSX and Win 7 environments.  It is not obvious to reproduce these problems, and seems pretty random when it occurs.

Is there anywhere I could download EA1 from again - we cannot work with EA2, and don't really want to go back to 3.2 either.

FYI - we have been using SQL Dev since it was project raptor back in the end of 2005, but am ready to give up on this tool unless the stability / performance improves.  So many nice features, but so frustrating at the same time....arrgghhh!!

• 1. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator

We actually closed 500 bugs from EA1 to EA2. We're going to need some more information to go on to help you nail down the issues so they don't make it into the next EA or the final 4.0 release.

What JDK are you running?

When it crashes, how exactly is it 'crashing?' Does the application hang, or do you get an actual error message?

Can you run SQL Developer from the bin directory to get the cmd window so you can capture the error stack when it does crash? That can help us nail down the issue.

• 2. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    rp0428 Guru
    Is there anywhere I could download EA1 from again - we cannot work with EA2, and don't really want to go back to 3.2 either.

The fact that you have to download something that you have previously downloaded shows that you are not using industry standard practices at your organization. What you posted indicates that either there is no backup/recovery process in place there or that your developers are not following it.

So your first step should be to contact your manager and ask them to resolve that SERIOUS issue that you have at your org.

It is inexcusable to download and/or use ANY software without first making a backup copy of it. The very first thing you should do after downloading or acquiring any software is to make a backup copy of it and store that copy offline in a repository or other place for safekeeping.

• 3. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable

I don't backup beta software downloads, but that's just me.

Instead of trying to go back to an earlier EA, you need to help us figure out what's wrong with the current EA. Otherwise the point of a beta program is moot.

• 4. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    crok Newbie

Thanks for your reply.  We don't backup beta software either - obviously. 3.2 is in our repo, but I don't want to go back to that.

We are using JDK 1.7.0_40.  To be precise, when I say it is crashing - it is hanging indefinitely. When it actually hangs can vary but sometimes after defining a new connection, testing it, and then clicking on 'save'. Other times just in the middle of PL/SQL development.  It is difficult so far to see a pattern.

I have started running from the bin directory to see if there is anything meaningful there the next time it hangs.

I understand the purpose of the beta program is to give feedback, but if the product become unusable or the cause of significant lost time, there comes a point where you say enough is enough.  EA1, bugs and all was still useable, and did not hang.

I hope I will be able to report something constructive in the coming days.

• 5. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    Jim Smith Expert

Jeff,

There used to be a sticky post at the top of the forum with a link to how to collect debugging information (run with a console, thread dumps etc). This would be useful for the OP.   Any chance of having it reinstated?

• 6. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable

Thanks for that. You can use this to get more info on how to collect the debug info.
    http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/06/how-to-collect-debug-info-for-oracle-sql-developer/

We do advise users keep v3.2 for production work while 4 is in Early Adopter mode.

• 7. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    VladimirSitnikov Newbie

Regarding slowness:

There is a "excessive memory usage" bug.

I mean idle SQL Developer might consume 300-400Mb of java heap for nothing.

You might be hit by this memory leak, especially if you use multi-monitor configuration.

I just add AddVMOption -Xmx2g to sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf file so this 400Mb loss does not impact much.

I believe the leak is caused by a flaw in jre swing library (see http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/swing-dev/2013-August/002894.html ), however I still do not have spare time to create a testcase.

Jeff,

Any reasons why beta version of SQLDeveloper does not have GC logging enabled by default?

• 8. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    rp0428 Guru

cdroderick wrote:

... We don't backup beta software either - obviously. 3.2 is in our repo, but I don't want to go back to that.

And, just as obviously, 3.1 is NOT in your repository. But as a manager what you 'want' is irrevelant; you need to have a backup plan in case the original plan goes awry. Your backup plan is to ask a forum of strangers if anyone can bail you out of your problem.

You have to accept responsibility for the risks that you took:

1) using beta software as a key component of your development process

2) not performing adequate (or perhaps ANY) testing of that beta software before destroying your existing software

3) not having a suitable way to recover if the beta software turns out to be unsuitable

4) decreased productivity of the development team having to deal with issues due to that beta software

As an individual you are free to take any level of risk that you choose. It's great that you want to help beta test a new product. But you aren't talking like an individual. Most of the statements you make use 'we':

We were happily using 4 EA1, despite the obvious bugs it seemed stable enough and not so slow..

We have started using EA2 since it came out, and it seems much more buggy, very slow, and very unstable

we cannot work with EA2, and don't really want to go back to 3.2 either.

we have been using SQL Dev since it was project raptor back in the end of 2005 but am ready to give up on this tool

And then the last one:

We don't backup beta software either obviously. 3.2 is in our repo, but I don't want to go back to that.

You are ready to give up a tool you have been using for 8 YEARS because the latest early adopter beta release has bugs?

That isn't a rational decision that an experienced manager would make.

My comments aren't just for you but for everyone.

Make responsible decisions.

Take responsibility for those decisions.

Always have a backup/recovery plan.

Make backup copies of key software that you use.

Don't use untested or unreliable software as a key component of your infrastructure.

• 9. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    crok Newbie

I'm running from the bin directory, but I don't really see any stack trace when the application hangs.

For example, I was running a script to re-create some packages, and at some moment everything hangs.  The tail of the output in the terminal window followed by my ctrl-break is:

Internal Error: Bad lineNum is : 1,306

Internal Error: Bad lineNum is : 1,267

Internal Error: Bad lineNum is : 1,306

UsersCache.fillIn() time = 5  ret==null?: true

^Clogout

[Process completed]

If I re-launch sqldev and run the same script again, against the same database - everything runs as expected.

I had similar behaviour when creating new connections, and when selecting some nodes in the tree navigator.  For example, I looked at the properties of a saved connection, then changed the connection name, server name etc, tested - success, then clicked 'save' and it hangs with nothing in the terminal.  I re-launch, my new connection is not there, and I repeat the process, and it works...

Am I doing something wrong when it comes to trying to capture the stack trace?

• 10. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable

I just need you to send everything in that terminal window, not just the last 4 lines.

• 11. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 is too unstable
    crok Newbie

Ok - I will try again (I have basically switched back to 3.2 to get some stuff done).  Note that I only cut the text to the last 4 lines because prior to that there was only something like:

Oracle SQL Developer

Copyright (c) 1997, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

LOAD TIME : 752UsersCache.fillIn() time = 184  ret==null?: true

tableAlias.cardinality()==0

followed by lots of entries like

Internal Error: Bad lineNum is : ****

There was no stack trace - nothing.

I also noticed that after a while, the process is consuming 60-70% CPU and ~700MB memory, when I am not running anything...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points