3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 1:12 PM by NHE RSS

Install order of Java 6 and Java 7

We have a need to run both version 1.6 and 1.7 of JRE for applications with different requirements. I know that it is possible to do this however wonder if anyone can offer advice as to the correct order for installation. This will be done on new build Windows 7 PCs. Versions will be 1.6_u31 and 1.7_u21 if that helps. I'm also assuming that I will need the use the static parameter as the apps we are running will have been certified to a particular version which we will have tested as working OK for all software using the same JRE family, if that makes sense. Any advice gratefully received. 

• 1. Re: Install order of Java 6 and Java 7
          Asif Muhammad

Try the following:

Install Java 7, and point both the application to manually use Java 7. It works fine for me. After java installation set the following in the client machine enviornmental variable:

Name = JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS

Value = -Djava.vendor="Sun Microsystems Inc."

Hope this helps!

Thanks &

Best regards,

• 2. Re: Install order of Java 6 and Java 7

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately some of the applications will have to remain on Java 6. There are quite a few different applications we use and some of these are not yet certified with Java 7. Also, if we try to get them to work with Java 7 we'll have to go through full testing of all these applications. It will be far better if we can just install both versions of Java, which we know can be done. So it is just a question whether the order of install matters.

• 3. Re: Install order of Java 6 and Java 7

From previous experience installing the new 7 first will be set to default. and than when you install the 6 put it in a different area like for example c:\java6 or something similar and than for your appliacations that need the 6 have it point to that 6 location and you should be good for both. hope this helps!