This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 12:50 AM by BluShadow RSS

suggestion to moderators

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated

Every day, in the several spaces I follow, I see 'new' (newly udated) threads that, when opened are really old threads .. even the oldest message in the thread is days/weeks/months/years old.  Usually the thread is locked.  I'm assuming that the moderator has locked it for some reason .. perhaps someone revived it for not good reason .. but it is not clear since the thread doesn't actually have any new content.    I'd like to suggest/request that if that's what is happening, the moderator put a closing message of explanation when they lock a thread.

And if my assumption is not correct, why would an old thread suddenly appear at or near the top of the 'recently updated' list?

• 1. Re: suggestion to moderators
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Your assumption does sound correct.

Many of the moderators do put a message to say they are locking a thread if it's been revived by someone (it only takes someone to edit one of their posts, or maybe even mark helpful/correct (not sure about that)), however there are some moderators who take action without posting to state why.  I agree that it's not good for it to be locked without a message... we've just got to find the moderators who are doing that and borrow Billy's lead pipe to persuade them otherwise. 

• 2. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Dude! Guru

I think it would be best to automatically lock any discussion after several month to avoid such issues. Anyone who wishes to add a comment after that expiration time can create a new discussion including an appropriate link.

Some exception to his rule will be necessary for discussions which provide content, rather than questions and answers. Perhaps it would be a nice idea to be able to add posts, that do not allow responding, but give the original poster unlimited access. This could be done in form of a check box, where the thread owner can request such option. The forum moderator could then decide based the content it the request is reasonable.

• 3. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Dude! Guru

I'm not a moderator, but perhaps removing the post is the only way to make it go back to the pit. Adding additional content (threads) will raise the post up in the top list.

• 4. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

>I think it would be best to automatically lock any discussion after several month to avoid such issues

That has been discussed here several times, as far as I remember it was told that a massive batch will lock threads older than 4 months. No idea about the status of that task though.

>Perhaps it would be a nice idea to be able to add posts

Perhaps...

You know, enhancement request is fine in a normal way of working and software, but does not look an option with Jive team. And thus not only with this crapy version, it was also true with previous ones.

Nicolas.

• 5. Re: suggestion to moderators

>I'm not a moderator, but perhaps removing the post is the only way to make it go back to the pit. Adding additional content will raise the post up the list.

That was true until the last upgrade. Right now, if I remove the last post which popup the thread on top of the page, it stays there and you'll see The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Nicolas.

• 6. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Dude! Guru

I know, but that's something Oracle needs to address and sort out with Jive. If Jive cannot provide a reasonable service, Oracle should look for alternative solutions. For a company of the size and talent of Oracle, I'm sure alternatives exist.

• 7. Re: suggestion to moderators
    SomeoneElse Guru

I'm still trying to figure out why they went with Jive again given previous disasters.

The only thing I can think of is that some exec at Oracle is on the Jive BOD.  It's got to be something like that.

• 8. Re: suggestion to moderators

I agree, and now how to reach the ones who decide where and how it goes ? Tirelessly posting complaints here ?

Nicolas.

• 9. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Dude! Guru

It may require attention outside the OTN forum. The few dozens of loyal users who hang in around here are obviously not reason enough for OTN to worry about.

The lack of available info speaks for itself. It is quite obvious that the OTN management prefers to let complaints run dry, probably hoping that the wave of complaints will subside and everything will be back to business as usual.

People are interested in solutions and not in exploring or troubleshooting forum software features. Most users will loose interest, also because there is nothing for them to win. And why bother, to help Oracle? Ambitious people will simply find better options. It will be a loss for OTN in the end and to what extend is something Oracle will experience.

From a user perspective, all the advantages of the new forum software turned out to be fake and we are left with something that works a lot worse than before. What surprises me is that it was quite obvious from the beginning.

• 10. Re: suggestion to moderators
    jgarry Guru

Not so much of a surprise if you think of it in terms of failure to eat own dog food (I mean by higher-ups than the otn team).

I'm still willing to wait for the next major patch, was that supposed to be November or something?  If they can't fix it by then, they lose my respect.  Right now, it's just the Jive company that I don't respect.  I'll throw in some superfluous disrespect for google, twitter and linkedin while I'm at it, they are all putting out similar problems, trading productivity for quality.  Productivity measures ought to include quality.  But that's not where the money's at.

• 11. Re: suggestion to moderators
    EdStevens Guru

Dude wrote:

I'm not a moderator, but perhaps removing the post is the only way to make it go back to the pit. Adding additional content (threads) will raise the post up in the top list.

The threads are already being bounced to the top, so the effect of adding an explanatory comment would be negligible.  I wonder if the mere fact of locking a thread bounces it to the top of the list?  And if so, then having threads auto-locked after a certain age might be a cure worse than the disease. In that case, better to let sleeping dogs lie and have a moderator lock them only after they've already been wakened ...

• 12. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    all the advantages of the new forum software turned out to be fake and we are left with something that works a lot worse than before. What surprises me is that it was quite obvious from the beginning.

Well, at last, after about 4 months from the start, many people realize what kind of mess is this version ... I've been called "whining wussy" for having said the same things a few days after the start : not that it worried me a lot (actually it could also have been fun), but experts should have understood the situation since the beginning...

Let's hope in the next patch...

• 13. Re: suggestion to moderators
    jgarry Guru

So I search on wussies to take a gander at that old thread, and the first thing I find is Billy saying "But despite some quirks that need to be fixed, I now spend less time on posting as it is WYSIWYG and no previewing needed."

Real Programmer

• 14. Re: suggestion to moderators
    Dude! Guru

I think the WYSIWYG editor was among the first features that captured peoples imagination, including myself. Too bad it did not take much effort to realize show stoppers and shortcomings.

1 2 Previous Next