1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 6, 2013 4:38 AM by Tommyreynolds-Oracle RSS

Understanding of forward zone file

There is DNS implemented in our setup but I am not able to understand some of the entries in the forward zone file. The DNS entries in the forward zone file, fion.co.in.zone are like:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$TTL       86400

$ORIGIN fion.co.in.

@                IN SOA localns1.fion.co.in.   admin.fion.co.in.  (

42                           ; serial (d. adams)

3H                           ; refresh

15M                       ; retry

1W                         ; expiry

1D )        ; minimum

IN       NS          localns1.fion.co.in.

IN       MX         10           mail.fion.co.in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the following queries with regard to the above file:

1) The hostname of the server is the same one on which it is hosted which is bssossapp01.snl.com. But, I am not able to understand the entry localns1.fion.co.in. Is it possible that there are multiple hostname aliases for a server?

2) How to determine the entry to be put in hostmaster-email directive which is showing as admin.fion.co.in in our setup?

3) How to determine the email-server-name in the MX record which is showing as mail.fion.co.in as above?

I hope, my query is clear of how to understand the entries in the forward zone file.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

• 1. Re: Understanding of forward zone file
          Tommyreynolds-Oracle

$TTL       86400

$ORIGIN fion.co.in.

@   IN SOA localns1.fion.co.in.   admin.fion.co.in.  (

42                           ; serial (d. adams)

3H                           ; refresh

15M                          ; retry

1W                           ; expiry

1D                           ; minimum

)

IN       NS          localns1.fion.co.in.

IN       MX         10           mail.fion.co.in.

1) The hostname of the server is the same one on which it is hosted which is bssossapp01.snl.com. But, I am not able to understand the entry localns1.fion.co.in. Is it possible that there are multiple hostname aliases for a server?

"localns1.fion.co.in." is just the name of the originating host.  It's basically an embedded comment.

2) How to determine the entry to be put in hostmaster-email directive which is showing as admin.fion.co.in in our setup?

This is the email address of whom should be contacted if a DNS user detects a problem or has a question.  Just change the email "@" to a dot "." and you are done.

3) How to determine the email-server-name in the MX record which is showing as mail.fion.co.in as above?

This is the fully-qualified domain name for the server that you want mail sent to this domain to handle.  When sendmail has a piece of mail, it determines the domain and then does the equivalent of:
             $ dig -t MX fion.co.in
          and then uses the prioritized list of mail handlers as destinations to try sending the piece of mail.