This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 3:21 AM by ranit B RSS

Reg: Installing Apex -

ranit B Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Hi APExperts,

I'm a PL/SQL and ETL Developer... very new to the APEX world. So have few basic qns, could you please help me out?

Currently started reading - Quick Start

1. Can we install APEX on our local system? How?

2. Can we support APEX with Oracle XE as database (both locally hosted)?

3. Will this setup (APEX + Oracle XE database) be accessible from other remote locations? In other words, can it behave like an intranet page?

Please guide me  Help much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

-- Ranit

(on Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production)

• 1. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    jariola Guru

Hi,

All 11g Oracle databases editions, including XE, comes with preinstalled APEX.

I do not know what you mean by local system, but you can install XE e.g. to your laptop.

If you open firewall and allow remote access, then others in network can access to your APEX applications.

Regards,

Jari

• 2. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    ranit B Expert

Hi Jariola,

Thanks a lot for your response.

All 11g Oracle databases editions, including XE, comes with preinstalled APEX.

Really?? But the docs says I've to download it -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#BABHHIJB

You got it correct; by "local system" I meant my laptop only.

Can you please give me some pointer that how and where should I start from? Any particular reference link?

[Off-topic] -- I've not seen much interaction and questions being exchangedin the APEX space, as compared to PL/SQL and General.

Can we do something to enhance this?

Thanks and Regards

-- Ranit

• 3. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    jariola Guru

Hi,

If you wish use latest APEX 4.2.3, then you need download and install it. If I recall correctly 11g XE comes with APEX 4.1.

Upgrading Oracle Application Express in Oracle Database Express Edition

Please note that you will lose database management GUI, if you upgrade APEX. But you can do all same things e.g. with SQL Developer.

[Off-topic] -- I've not seen much interaction and questions being exchangedin the APEX space, as compared to PL/SQL and General.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by that.

Regards,

Jari

• 4. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    ranit B Expert

Thanks a lot, Jariola. Your quick response and help is much appreciated.

Please note that you will lose database management GUI, if you upgrade APEX.

This is fine, I prefer SQL*Plus to execute commands and database management.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by that.

I mean - it seems the frequency of posts/replies are less as compared to the "SQL and PL/SQL" and "General questions" sections.

Is it so?

I'm starting to read the doc link you provided. In case of my doubts or need help in understanding concepts, please help me out.

Thanks,

-- Ranit

• 5. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    fac586 Guru

ranitB wrote:

I mean - it seems the frequency of posts/replies are less as compared to the "SQL and PL/SQL" and "General questions" sections.

Is it so?

Yes. This is unsurprising as there are more people use the Oracle database, SQL, and PL/SQL than use APEX. Nevertheless, the APEX forum is the third most active community in the Database section after General Questions and SQL and PL/SQL. (As was obvious from the old forum Category listing before the current useless forum software was imposed.)

The forum does appear to be less active than it was previously. This is probably because APEX itself is only one component of an APEX application, and users now recognise that they'll get more effective help on other aspects in the APEX Listener, SQL and PL/SQL, XML DB, and Text OTN forums, and from non-Oracle resources on HTML, CSS, jQuery and JavaScript topics.

• 6. Re: Reg: Installing Apex -
    ranit B Expert

Thanks for responding, Fac.

But looking at the way you and Jariola responded to me, I am glad and got the same feeling in SQL and PL/SQL sections.

I've worked on something called PSP pages (PL/SQL Server Pages) which included all HTML things like Javascript, CSS, jQuery, etc.. I guess APEX is much like that. Writing Procedures and Packages, inside that usual SQL and PL/SQL code along with these HTML elements... Used HTP packages and methods like HTP.PRINT('Hello World!').

When the procedure/package is invoked using browser... renders a HTML page with "Hello World!" printed on it.

Are you aware of the PSP technique? It seems to be extinct now...

-- Ranit

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points