13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 10:47 PM by yxes2013 RSS

DG physical standby

yxes2013

Hi all,

Aix 6.1

I still am confused how do our DG physical standby be activated and up-to-date in case when disaster happens?

My boss tasked me a service-level-agreement, to check every hour that the archivelogs should be latest updated to the standby db.

Does this mean I have to check our database every hour, 24-hrs a day? What has this DG has done to my life then?

Is there a way to check if the arhivelogs are not applied within an hour? and send SMS to me if there is such a gap?

I only have this script:

SELECT PROCESS, CLIENT_PROCESS, SEQUENCE#, STATUS FROM V$MANAGED_STANDBY

PROCESS   CLIENT_P  SEQUENCE# STATUS

--------- -------- ---------- ------------

ARCH      ARCH            530 CLOSING

ARCH      ARCH            531 CLOSING

ARCH      ARCH              0 CONNECTED

ARCH      ARCH            529 CLOSING

MRP0      N/A             532 WAIT_FOR_LOG

RFS       UNKNOWN           0 IDLE

RFS       LGWR            532 IDLE

Can you share me how do you manage your standby DB? Does it disturb you during sleeping time, midnight, weekends, holidays?

I thought this dataguard is made to make dba's life easy? Why is it getting more complicated????

Thanks a lot,

zxy

• 1. Re: DG physical standby
          a9362c69-5635-4bf2-a548-4a13a7cba11b

Hi, For  both primary as well as the standby database, you'll have to check views such as v$archived_log, whether archive is applied to the dataguard or not, if any archive threads found missing then, query the view, v$archive_gap  to find out what are all the archives missing , and you'll have to manually copy  the missed archives and paste to the standby, and apply it to the standby.,

• 2. Re: DG physical standby
            Svetoslav Gyurov

Hi,

There are few things to make your life easier and sleep well during night.

As part of Dataguard setup you can configure Dataguard Broker, it's a tool which takes care of that both primary and standby databases are using correct settings and give you the ability to command Dataguard from one place issuing simple commands instead of typing long SQLs (if we assume it's correctly configured). Reporting and monitoring tasks are easier as well.

The other thing which is very popular and used in vast majority of ASYNC shipping method for physical standby databases (as you probably know Dataguard support two redolog shipping modes - asynchronous and synchronous (I assume you have a physical DG)). In your case of asynchronous redolog shipping there is one step further - use of Real Time Apply instead of shipping archived logs. So instead of waiting for redologs to become archived (either by log switch or setting ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET) and then shipped you could set Real Time Apply where blocks from the log buffer of the primary database are send directly to the standby logs of the standby database. The benefits are obvious - the lag is almost few seconds i.e. changes got applied on the standby few seconds after the primary, you don't have to worry whether the archivelogs are sent or not.

Here is link for more information about Real Time Apply at Oracle documentation Apply Services

I have to say that I can't image having DG without Dataguard Broker.

Regards,

Sve

• 3. Re: DG physical standby
              Sunny kichloo

You can check this

Redo Transport Services

• 4. Re: DG physical standby
                yxes2013

Thanks Sunny & Sve,

I am just new to this company and they have the Oracle Partner consultants configured the DataGuard. Maybe the ASYNC you mentioned was already configured by them?

And we just do not use  it? How can I check if it was already configured?

Does the script below showing "MRP0  WAIT_FOR_LOG"  show that archivelogs are currently updated, hence it is waiting for logs?

SELECT PROCESS, CLIENT_PROCESS, SEQUENCE#, STATUS FROM V$MANAGED_STANDBY

PROCESS   CLIENT_P  SEQUENCE# STATUS

--------- -------- ---------- ------------

ARCH      ARCH            530 CLOSING

ARCH      ARCH            531 CLOSING

ARCH      ARCH              0 CONNECTED

ARCH      ARCH            529 CLOSING

MRP0      N/A             532 WAIT_FOR_LOG

RFS       UNKNOWN           0 IDLE

RFS       LGWR            532 IDLE

Thanks a lot,

• 5. Re: DG physical standby
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto

yxes2013 wrote:

I am just new to this company ...

First time I've seen you claimed this was on Feb'13: I am just new to this company

That's already more than 7 months... and according to your history over here, your company did a mistake.

Nicolas.

• 6. Re: DG physical standby
                    yxes2013

It is because I keep on changing companies to find an easy dba job with higher pay. But always no luck with stressful job I get.

Maybe I need to plant kamote instead?

• 7. Re: DG physical standby
                      DB

Before that you tell me:

1.how much archive log generated per hour?

2.Whether it is a OLTP or DW environment?

3.what the size of the archive_log?

If it is OLTP

you can easily find on the following query:

select applied,sequence# from v$archived_log where applied='NO' order by sequence#;

It will shows how many it was not applied?

1.First SCP the archive_log from primary .

2.change the ownership which you got from primary.

3.Then in cancel based recovery ,

alter database recover managed standby database cancel;

Then put the query

alter database register logfile 'path of the missed logfile';

4.parallely you open the alert_log_file for standby database.after issue the above command check.

5.alter database recover managed standby database disconnect from session;

Thanks,

• 8. Re: DG physical standby
                        Gamblesk

The part that you seem to be missing is that most DBA's will make their job easier by correctly managing these situations. You seem to be looking for a job that you can put no work into and get paid. Good luck with that.

google has enough links to point you in the right direction. Whether you can figure that out or not is another question.

• 9. Re: DG physical standby
                          yxes2013

I thank you all,

Hi DB,

I already have these commands you mentioned.

How do I met the service level that when disaster strikes the standby db is updated to the lastest 30 min archivelog?

Do I need to issue alter system switch log file (every 30 min) at Primary DB so that it will force update the Standby DB.

I just thought this is what DG was made about. To automate everything and to ease the job of dbas.

I just thought when DG was setup, the dba can now sit down and relax and no worries about disaster?

Thanks

• 10. Re: DG physical standby
                            Hemant K Chitale

When using ASYNC and shipping Archived Redo Logs, you must configure the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET (instance) parameter at the primary instance for Oracle to force an archive every 'n' seconds.

Hemant K Chitale

• 11. Re: DG physical standby
                              yxes2013

As simple at that? then I can sit down relax and no worries about disaster?

Since there is a 30 mins service level, and if I am sleeping at night and there suddenly archive GAPS occurring for some unknown reason like missing or corrupted archivelogs.

Do I need to be emailed or sent SMS for this error?

Thanks

• 12. Re: DG physical standby
                                Hemant K Chitale

ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET is a directive only at the Primary to force an archive log generation.

It does not mean that errors / issues like

a. The standby being down

b. Network connectivity failing

c. Either side being out of disk space for archivelogs

d. The standby being slow to apply archivelog, thus lagging behind the primary

would be avoided

So : You DO have to setup monitoring and alerts for the standby lag.

Hemant K Chitale

• 13. Re: DG physical standby
                                  yxes2013

Thanks a lot, I just make followup question on next post...hayssst so many things to learn.

I wish I had a 1 month paid vacation where i just cat sit and relax at the secluded beach or mountains or forest where there is no people around?

So I can meditate