This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2013 12:22 AM by EEG RSS

How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page

EEG Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello.

I'm using Apex 4.2.1 on Oracle 11gR3 and mod_plsql.  My application is using Theme 21.

I notice some strange behavior.  All of my page messages such as process success messages ("changes have been saved") and even validation error messages ("date field must have a value") are all displayed at the very bottom of my page.  Users are not even aware an error has occurred or that their database changes have been successfully saved until they literally scroll to the very bottom of the page.

My page happens to have several regions (HTML, report, form type) some of which are "children" of "parent" regions.  This is just the way I need to position various regions on this particular page.

Would anyone know why these messages are displayed at the very bottom of the page?

I would like to display them at the very top of the page.

Any tips/suggestion son how to control message placement on a page would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Elie

• 1. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    Jeff E Expert

The placement of the messages are defined in the page template.

Would anyone know why these messages are displayed at the very bottom of the page?

You have put your regions in a region position above the messages location. 

Edit one of the regions and in the "User Interface" section there is the "Display Point" field.  Click the flashlight icon to the right of that field to see a layout of the region positions and messages location.  Notice that #SUCCESS_MESSAGE# and #NOTIFICATION_MESSAGE# are underneath some other region positions (such as Region Position 1 and Region Position 4)

Normally the main body regions of a page are in "Page Template Body (3)".  Try changing your regions to the "Page Template Body (3)" display point.

--Jeff

• 2. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    EEG Newbie

Hi, Jeff.

Again, you've come to my aid.  Thank you.

Usually when I create an application, I stick with the "default" display point position "Page Template Body (3)".

However, for this particular application, I need to place several regions, several of which are rather wide, are one page.  The "Page Template Body (3)" display point tries to center regions on the page, leaving wasted space on the left and right side of the page.

And so, I'm using "Region Position 01" to place my regions at the far left side of the page, giving the wider regions more space to expand.

From your suggestion, I see now why my process and validation messages are appearing at the very bottom of the page.

1) So, how can I override this placement and still keep using "Region Position 01" to maximize my screen space?

And  what I believe is a related question ...

2) I also notice that using "Region Position 01" inhibits display of the page scroll bar at the very bottom of the page.  In the event users need to scroll the page left and right, there is no way to do this.  Instead, users must click "CTRL-Minus" in order to decrease the page font, thereby allowing them to see region content that is at the far right side of a wide report region.

Is this behavior also related to my using "Region Position 01"?  When I use the "Page Template Body (3)", the page scroll bar appears.  Note, I realize that individual regions can display their own horizontal/vertical scroll bars.  But this can be confusing.  Most of my users want horizontal scroll bars to simply appear at the very bottom of the page rather than in an individual region.

Any ideas on this and my other question would be most appreciated.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Elie

• 3. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    Jeff E Expert
    1) So, how can I override this placement and still keep using "Region Position 01" to maximize my screen space?

If you want to change the position placement you can edit the template used for the page. 

I'm not experiencing the same behavior as you are describing using theme 21.  What page template are you using? What region templates are you using?  Perhaps a certain combination of the templates is causing the behavior you are describing.

• 4. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    EEG Newbie

Hi, Jeff.

As mentioned my page is (needs) using several regions that are "children" to "parents".  And a couple of these "parents" are themselves "children" to an overarching "parent" HTML region on the page.

In order to better display these, I'm using region templates like "Reports Region No Title", "Nested Region", and "Report Filter - Single Row".

Perhaps, then, I'm making all this too complex.  Perhaps, I need to somehow "break apart" my regions by placing some of another page.  Trouble is, they are all logically related.  They just "belong" together.

Hmm.  I have an idea that I'd like to try.  I've seen pages on which several regions are displayed in an "accordion" like structure.  Users click on a tab and a region will (using JavaScript or JQuery) expand downwards or even sideways to expose the region.  This is similar to the Apex "Hide and Show" region template.  However, here all of the regions, when closed, displayed as clickable tabs.  Perhaps this would make better use of my screen space.

Your thoughts?

Thank you, again, for your help.

Elie

• 5. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    fac586 Guru

EEG wrote:

Your thoughts?

That it would be a lot easier to provide help on this if we could see an example of the page on apex.oracle.com. Like Jeff, I'm having trouble replicating what you are describing using theme 21.

• 6. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    Jeff E Expert

Yes, there are many different ways to organize and display your regions.

Maybe using the Region Display Selector functionality would help: 12.3 Understanding Regions

• 7. Re: How To Control Where Messages Appear On A Page
    EEG Newbie

Hello fac586 and Jeff.

First of all, thank you both for your help. I don't take it for granted.

I am trying to get my application working in my workspace on apex.oracle.com.  It took some effort due to replicating relevant tables in the workspace.  Un-fortunately, I'm still having issues with getting the application to even run.  I keep geting an "Invalid Field Name" error when trying to run the relevant page.  I *think* I know the cause of this error but will take a bit more time to resolve.  I'll try to do this over this weekend and respond again to this thread.

With respect to Jeff's suggestion about using "Region Display Selectors", I'm not sure how these will help me control where messages are being displayed.  But then, again, I've not used these Apex components, and so, will check this out.

Thank you, both of you.  As mentioned, I'll try to get my application runnable over this weekend.

Elie

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points