1. could i no longer install oracle 9i.
2. should i install other version of oracle as 11g XE.
please suggest me, what possible steps should i take
1) You can install oracle 9i if you have old 9i media somewhere sitting there BUT IT'S NOT SUPPORTED.
2) You can install oracle 11gXE
Oracle Database XE is a great starter database for:
Support is provided through a free Oracle Discussion Forum monitored by Oracle employees as well as community experts.
11g has more new features than 9i. If you want to install for a learning purpose, you should definitely go for 11gXE because 11g or 12c is the way to go if you want to learn Oracle. You can uninstall 9i and install 11g, it will be little bit of work but its for your good OR you can have both on your machine
If 9i is the requirement of any of your application then I cannot argue , you will have to install 9i.
i am having some confusion in the following:-
1.why oracle 11g installation process is not like 8i,9i,10g, that they ask about sid name, userid and password but not in oracle 11g.
2. AS we open sqlplus in 8i,9i,10g white colored window, and first of all i had to enter the userid and password as scott/tiger but not in oracle 11g.
3. Neither scott/tiger we use for connecting to DB in 11g
1.how can we connect to 11g data base first time, as unlike 8i,9i,10g ,we were entering scott/tiger.but not here same thing , i think;
please tell me the steps ,
2.that what schema is default in 11g.
3.while installing, there was not any option like you said about "typical install"
4.only asked for password.but not for username and sid name.