1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 2:20 PM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Bonding configuration
        Dude!

NetworkManager is a dynamic network control and configuration system that may be more suitable for a desktop than a  server system.

Apparently your Ethernet interfaces are down, which is also why they show up only when using ifconfig -a. A quick look in Google shows that the NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet can be some trouble: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6401

What happens if you boot into the Oracle UEK2 kernel? Does the problem persist?

• 16. Re: Bonding configuration
          user7193548

Hi Dude,

I have found the cause of my problem and reproduce it on my VirtualBox virtual machine.

One week ago, I have change the server IP address on bon0 with "system-config-network"

Bond0 is made of eth3 and eth5. After using "system-config-network" eth3 is renamed bond0 with bonding no more actif.

ifconfig show up only bond0.

If I move all the ifcfg-ethx and ifcfg-bond0 files to another location and reboot the server, ifonfig shows nothing and ifconfig -a shows all my old interfaces including bond0.

I also have deleted all devices visible with "system-config-network".

Do you know hox to completly rediscover my NIC cards without bonding

Thanks

• 17. Re: Bonding configuration
            Dude!

You can have the system rediscover all network interfaces by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. The same file already mentioned. Simply remove all the entries and restart the system. The udev subsystem will rebuild the device entries.

ifconfig without -a will only show devices which are up. You do not need to use system-config-network and can configure devices by editing or creating the appropriate ifcfg-ethx file. You can check the link I included in my first response for an example.

• 18. Re: Bonding configuration
              user7193548

Thanks Dude,

I have done this on my virtual machine and bond0 is up and running correctly.

Next tuesday, I will do it on my production servers.

I will inform you about the result !

Regards

dzi57

• 19. Re: Bonding configuration
                user7193548

Hi Dude,

I have done the modification on our production servers and everything is fine now.

1. Remove the line with HWADDR=xx.xx ... in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0

2. Remove the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

3. Restart the server

file /proc/net/bonding/bond0 is now present and bonding is up and running.

Thanks a lot for your help Dude !!!

dzi57

• 20. Re: Bonding configuration
                  Dude!

Glad to help. Putting the MAC address in the bond configuration file is not a good idea and defeats its purpose.

1 2 Previous Next