This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 2:12 PM by user589333 RSS

How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?

user589333 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Our main objective for projects security is to have the ability to limit our users to specific organizations within our hierarchies. We currently have multiple business units with multiple hierarchies. As it stands now in 11i we can limit user access to any level and below within a hierarchy using the projects security function. We were told, by Oracle support, that this functionality was a mistake and has been deprecated in R12. An example of how our structure is setup and how we need to limit users follows:

Top Level Company Organization

Corporate Structure (Consists of multiple departments)

Corporate Department 1

Corporate Department 2

Region 1

Region 1 Division 1

Region 1 Division 2

Region 1 Branch 1

Region 1 Branch 2

Region 2

Region 2 Division 1

Region 2 Division 2

Region 2 Branch

We have users ranging from VPs to division managers that need access to only the projects they are responsible for within their location.

Operations VP (Access to whole Hierarchy)

Corporate Department 1 Manger (Access to just Corporate Department 1)

Corporate Department 2 Manger (Access to just Corporate Department 2)

Region 1 Manager (Access to all of Region 1)

Region 1 Division 1 Manager (Access to just Region 1 Division 1)

Region 1 Division 2 Manager (Access to just Region 1 Division 2)

Region 1 Branch 1 Manager (Access to just Region 1 Branch 1)

Region 1 Branch 2 Manager (Access to just Region 1 Branch 2)

Region 2 Manager (Access to all of Region 2)

Region 2 Division 1 Manager (Access to just Region 2 Division 1)

Region 2 Division 2 Manager (Access to just Region 2 Division 2)

Region 2 Branch 1 Manager (Access to just Region 2 Branch 1)

We also have cases where some managers may need to access to a mix of the organizations within any given hierarchy.

• 1. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi ,

You can use the Organization Authority for the users who are required to oversee the projects under them. 

You will need to specify each organization for which the user has organization authority in the Organization Authority form and also indicate what authority is required by checking the check-boxes.

For example :

For Region 2 Manager, the following organizations must be added :

Region 2 Division 1

Region 2 Division 2

Region 2 Branch 1

For Region 2 Branch 1 Manager add just Region 2 Branch 1

You can also use this for the cases where managers need to have access to mix of organizations. You just need to add those organizations in the Organization Authority form.

Navigation : Setup -> Resources and Organizations -> Organization Authority

==

Reference : Oracle Projects Fundamentals User Guide, Chapter 3 (Security in Oracle Projects). Under "Organization Security".

Regards,

Raghavan Gopalakrishnan

• 2. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Hi Raghavan,

I have tried this and read through the documentation several times, without success, before creating this question. Are there specific profile options that need to be setup or not setup in order for this to work using the Organization Authority? I am trying to access projects in several screens within the GUI, in particular the Expenditure Inquiry screen for a single project. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

• 3. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Rajendrakumark Newbie

Why dont you create Profile and Roles to the specific profiles as in the earlier version of Oracle

• 4. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi Gary,

The profile "PA: Cross-Project User - Update" generally has to be set to yes at the responsibility level. Also specifically what is the issue that you are facing when you use the Organization authority as mentioned above?

Have you looked at the possibility of customizing the project security extension?

Regards,

Raghavan Gopalakrishnan

• 5. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

We have not used the profile and roles within Oracle, so I'm not sure how to go about using that feature.

• 6. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Hi Raghavan,

I tried updating the "PA: Cross-Project User - Update" to YES and that does not work, there still are no projects in the list. I have looked into the project security extension and had an SR with Oracle where they told me that functionality was deprecated because it was a bug in 11i and should not have worked. That was how we got it working in 11i and tried to carry that over to R12 with no success.

Thanks,

Gary

• 7. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi,

In the hierarchy mentioned in your query. Which are the Operating Units? 

Would it be fair to assume, the "Region 2 Division 1 Manager" for example would be a  key-member to the projects that he oversees?

Are you using the same hierarchy  in the implementation options for projects and costing?

Regards,

Raghavan

• 8. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Hi,

The operating units are the divisions and branches. These employees are key-members but with thousands of projects and around 100 managers, the maintenance would be staggering. These projects tend to move around frequently enough to cause issue and employee turn over is another factor. Each company has one hierarchy as it's main hierarchy.

Thanks,

Gary

• 9. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi Gary,

Not sure if you have already tried this, Let me know what you think :

1 For Division Managers & Branch Managers

================================

1.1 Create a responsibility, one for each OU

1.2 The following profile options to be set for the responsibility created in 2.1 as below :

MO: Security Profile  --> Null

MO: Operating Unit  ->  Respective OU,   For Example :  Division 1 Or Branch 2

3. Assign the respective responsibilities to the Division / Branch Managers

This will ensure the managers access only the projects the OU that they are responsible for.

2. For Region Managers

=================

2.1. Create a responsibility, one for each Region.

2.2. Create a Security Profile, secured by organizations. Here you will be adding the Operating units/organizations under that regions.

For example , for  Region 1 you will add the following organizations in the security profile :

Region 1 Division 1

Region 1 Division 2

Region 1 Branch 1

Region 1 Branch 2

2.3. The following profile options to be set for the responsibility created in 2.1 as below :

MO: Security Profile  --> The region's security profile created in 2.2

MO: Operating Unit  ->  Null

2.4. Assign the respective region's responsibilities to the Region Managers

Since we have organizations listed under the regions security profile, the region manager will have access only to those organizations.

3. For Operations VP

====================

3.1  Create a responsibility,for Operations VP

3.2 Create a Security Profile, Secured by organization. and Add the whole hierarchy to the security profile.

3.3 The following profile options to be set for the responsibility created in 3.1 as below :

MO: Security Profile  --> The security profile created in 3.2

MO: Operating Unit  ->  Null

3.4. Assign the responsibility to the Operations VP.

4. Once the above is done , You need to run the "Security List Maintenance" process for the changes to take effect as we are creating/updating security profiles.

Regards,

Raghavan

• 10. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Hi Raghavan,

I have tried this before and have followed your directions as well with no success. One issue for us is that our "Organizations" are not defined as operating units so they are not available when choosing the MO: Operating Unit profile option. One question I have with the profile options. Should I make sure that the only profile options filled in are the few you listed above?

Thanks,

Gary

• 11. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi  Gary,

Please set the following profile options as below :

"PA: Cross-Project User - Update"   Set to Yes.

"PA: Cross-Project User - View"   Set to Yes.

MO Security Profile and MO: Operating Unit as above.

Instead of adding specific organizations could you try creating an organization hierarchy for the organizations that are to be added and add the hierarchy to the security profile.

Regards,

Raghavan

• 12. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Hi Raghavan,

I have tried as you suggested with no success. Perhaps there are only certain screens where this type of security works? If so, would you happen to know what screens this does not work with in R12?

Regards,

Gary

• 13. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    Raghavan G Explorer

Hi Gary,

As far as i know the MO Security (MOAC)  works (should word) in all the usual forms , Projects / Expenditure Inquiry (Projects) / Budgets / Revenue review/ Invoice review etc.

I have not yet encountered any cases where it has not been the case. However if you are seeing cases where MOAC seems to be violated perhaps oracle supports help might be needed to determine if its really a bug or there is some special reason for the anomalous behavior.

Regards,

Raghavan

• 14. Re: How do you limit user access to specific organizations within Projects in R12?
    user589333 Newbie

Thanks Raghavan,

I have an OWC with Oracle development coming up. Hopefully they will be able to find out what the problem is with Projects security.

Thanks,

Gary

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points