This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2013 12:36 PM by 1013373 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Re: Tracking user in logs

1013373 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Gurus,

Is there a way to extract the names of the reports from this FRLogging.log file?  The log file seems to be complex to use.

Our business wants to know which are the most used reports in FR.

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Tracking user in logs
    Celvin Kattookaran Oracle ACE

If you look at the log explanation, then you can see that it start with a tag ReportStoreManagerImpl                       retrieveObject(/My Reports/Sample Basic, 2). The report name is Sample Basic

Regards

Celvin

• 2. Re: Tracking user in logs
    SreekumarHariharan Explorer

Hi,

Use the "Usage tracking option" in workspace for tracking who has used the reports and when it was last accessed.After enabling "Usage tracking option" the output will be captured in the FRlogging.log file with time stamp,user id ,report name

For Example in FRLogging.log  search for below content

[Elapsed :0.14] [host:esxs] [jobid:2] [USER:Test][Name:Testchart13]

Hope this one helps you

Thanks,

Sreekumar Hariharan

• 3. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie

Yes thank you i'm able to see the name of the reports the users are opening. it would be helpful if anyone can tell me a way in which i can extract that particular time stamp from the log file or will that always remain a manual step?

• 4. Re: Tracking user in logs
    SreekumarHariharan Explorer

If you need to extract the particular timestamp of a fr report ,then you need to write a batch script in windows(if you fr is running in windows) which needs to search for a file pattern or Search for a text string inside the "frlogging.log" file

Refer the below link for windows batch script

http://ss64.com/nt/find.html

if above tips are useful please mark the question as correct or helpful

Thanks,

Sreekumar Hariharan

• 5. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie
    [2013-10-11T10:38:15.150-04:00] [FinancialReporting0] [NOTIFICATION] [] [oracle.EPMFR.performance] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '12' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: <anonymous>] [ecid: 0000K6bwiZqAHR0pvw^AyX1ILhsW0000LA,0] [SRC_CLASS: com.hyperion.reporting.util.HRLogTimer] [APP: FINANCIALREPORTING#11.1.2.0] [SRC_METHOD: logTimeEnd] PERF: 0000000054 ReportStoreManagerImpl                  retrieveObject(00000141a7f2af8f-0000-31c2-0a4074eb)

my retrieve object file looks like this, i'm not able to understand what kind of file is this since no reports are named like this one (00000141a7f2af8f-0000-31c2-0a4074eb).

Thanks for all the help gurus.. i don't see an option to give points as this thread is branched out from another discussion. how do i do it? I'm still a newbie here please suggest 

• 6. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie

Hi Gurus the more relevant file for me is

Where To Find User And Activity Tracking Information For Financial Reporting Reports (Doc ID 1269732.1)

<EPM_Home>/Products/BIPlus/lib/FR_REPSERVER.properties file on the FR server machine

and FR_ReportSrv.log file

but I'm unable to find that specific file on our server.

we are on 11.1.2.2

I'm going to log in an SR with Oracle.

• 7. Re: Tracking user in logs

All the property files (FR) are in JMC (check for frconfig.cmd Property Information)

Regards

Celvin

• 8. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie

Sir,

Can you also tell me which property to be changed and how to enable the user tracking in FR? I'm unable to determine based on frconfig.cmd

Thank you for all the help! 

• 9. Re: Tracking user in logs

I'm not a Sir!!!!!

You started the thread asking how to extract the info from FRLogging and now you are asking how to enable tracking?

"Navigate -> Administer -> Usage Tracking"

Regards

Celvin

• 10. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie

i was clear until i read this document.

Where To Find User And Activity Tracking Information For Financial Reporting Reports (Doc ID 1269732.1)

the sample log which this document presented

05-27 20:18:17 INFO FRLogTimer ----------------------------------------------------------

05-27 20:18:17 INFO FRLogTimer START: JobId: 8; User: ReportStore:\\Workspace_Folder\FR_Reports\Report_Name; Name: admin

05-27 20:18:17 INFO FRLogTimer ----------------------------------------------------------

is exactly what i need to create a pivot table in excel

that's the reason i started looking for fr_repserver.properties file, since i thought if i can change the log4j rootlogger to INFO my task will be simpler.

• 11. Re: Tracking user in logs
    1013373 Newbie

Thank you Sreekumar and Celvin i'm finally able to do it..

just worked with the FRlogging.log file and created a batch script and macro to get it done!