This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2013 8:37 AM by Mister D. RSS

Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error

Ankur-U Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I was running an automation for calculations using MaxL. by scheduling the Steps.bat in the task scheduler of windows.

_________ Steps.bat ___________

StartMaxl Steps.mxl

_________ Steps.mxl ___________

Login .....

Sppol on to log.log

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA1;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA2;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA3;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA4;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA5;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA6;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA7;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepA8;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepB1;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepB2;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepB3;           Iferror 'StopError';

Execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.StepB4;           Iferror 'StopError';

define label 'StopError';

exit;

Not when I check the log file on execution it shows ...

___________________ Log.log _______________________

MAXL> execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.'StepA1';

OK/INFO - 1012579 - Total Calc Elapsed Time for [StepA1.csc] : [173.87] seconds.

OK/INFO - 1013274 - Calculation executed.

MAXL> execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.'StepA8';

OK/INFO - 1012579 - Total Calc Elapsed Time for [StepA8.csc] : [2000.00] seconds.

MAXL> execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.'StepB1';

OK/INFO - 1012579 - Total Calc Elapsed Time for [StepB1.csc] : [1200.00] seconds.

MAXL> execute calculation 'DB'.'DB'.'StepB2';

If you see the last line - it just halts - doesn't show any error or any other message. And the task in the windows task scheduler keeps showing the task as running - without any error there as well.

Any ideas on why it is just going to a limbo (no sessions also appear on EAS console)

Ankur

• 1. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Ankur-U Newbie

Just to add - I had executed it multiple times (same result).

Once it stopped at 11th step after running for around 1hr 45 min ... and one other time it ran for around 1hr 10 min and halted at 8th step by sequence. Am running it again right now - going on for 1.5hrs till now - will update the results soon.

When limiting the steps to 7-8 steps in the mxl and it completed successfully (run time of close to 40 mins). But I wanted the whole process to be part of the same sequence so that we have to run it once without any further intervention by users.

Ankur

• 2. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    SreekumarHariharan Explorer

Log on to Eas Console and Check whether you can manually execute the calculation script for the respective DB

Thanks,

Sreekumar Hariharan

• 3. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    user10132385 Journeyer

1. Does it halt even if you run only those scripts manually after StepB2?

2. Have you checked the log file? any update?

3. Can you put a restart database Maxl statement pior to that calc where it is taking time?

I would suggest to check logs once

Regards

Amarnath

• 4. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Celvin Kattookaran Oracle ACE

I've a maxl which runs 57 calc scripts, (but mine doesn't take that much time). Is that real script or are you passing any variable. I've seen an issue where the log will show the statment however won't do anything Oracle - Hyperion Labs......: IFERROR MaxL - Surprises in Essbase Part IV

So as everyone suggested check your logs and see whether StepB2 executed or not?

Regards

Celvin

• 5. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Ankur-U Newbie

Yes the script can be manually executed. Also if I again put a mxl file starting from the step where it last stopped - it continues execution normally. (i.e. executes StepB2 as well and continues executing)

And today's execution result - I kept monitoring the server, it ran for 3hrs and then halts after around 80% of the steps with 20% were still remaining. I created a new Mxl to start from the last 20% and it ran successfully again.

@Amarnath : Restart database ?

I checked the logs - and this is what I can see (modified the big fields to show what the logs are showing)

[Wed Oct  9 09:54:43 2013]Local/....... Ankur.....

Calculation executed

[Wed Oct  9 09:54:43 2013]Local/DB///47450147858752/Info(1013210)

User [Ankur.....@Native Directory] set active on database [DB]

[Wed Oct  9 09:54:43 2013]Local/DB/DB/Ankur......

Received Command [Calculate] from user [Ankur......@Native Directory]

[Wed Oct  9 09:54:43 2013]Local/DB/DB/Ankur......

Received Command [Calculate] from user [Ankur......@Native Directory] using [StepB2.csc]

[Wed Oct  9 10:24:59 2013]Local/DB///47341561242320/Info(1002035)

Starting Essbase Server - Application [DB]

[Wed Oct  9 10:24:59 2013]Local/DB///47341561242320/Info(1200480)

Loaded and initialized JVM module

[Wed Oct  9 10:24:59 2013]Local/DB//47341561242320/Info(1200445)

External [GLOBAL] function [@ESSBASEALERT] registered OK

[Wed Oct  9 10:25:01 2013]Local/DB//47341561242320/Info(1019008)

Reading Application Definition For [DB]

So indeed the essbase server is starting again - but why ?

Ankur

• 6. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Ankur-U Newbie

Celvin,

Yes I checked the logs - it does start to execute the process (or at least from the logs it looks like it started the execution) but after some time I don't see any statements regarding the execution - rather I see this

[Wed Oct  9 10:24:59 2013]Local/DB///47341561242320/Info(1002035)

Starting Essbase Server - Application [DB]

Ankur

• 7. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Phulsebosch Pro

Hello 901093,

just some thoughts....

How long does this step (calculation) take?

I am asking because of a possible session time-out between MaxL and the server. The server is still working and MaxL thinks it should disconnect because nothing is happening anymore.

Try to reorder the calculations (if that makes sense and does not lead to incorrect results). Does it stop again at this script?

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch

• 8. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Ankur-U Newbie

Hi Philip,

Its not that the calculation is taking long - I have seen it halt even at calculation steps which take 1-2 mins. Reordering might not be possible as they are dependent.

Is there a session timeout between MaxL and server ? because when I see the application logs it is executing the statements and suddenly no lines in the logs after that. (if it times out it should show some error right ? it doesn't)

You can see the log posted above (there were a few lines in between - at 9:54 and 9:55 ... but goes blank after that - first line which appears next is at 10:24 when I tried to log into the application after realizing it was doing nothing. (whole server does not restart - jsut the application when looking at the server log)

Ankur

• 9. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    SreekumarHariharan Explorer

Hi Ankur,

Can you exercise the below steps

A)Create a new application as Test

B)Copy Only the .OTL file from the Original application into Test

C)Export the all data from the Original application & reimported into Test application

D) Recreate the calculation script Copy and paste the Calculation script for StepB2(Calculation script which is embedded in MXL) into Test  Application.Once every thing is in place, Drop the Original Cube .Rename the Test application to the Original Cube name.Check the mxl scripts are pointed to the correct name.

E) Rerun the Mxl scripts.

I could see the calculation are happenings to the respective DB'S Sequentially .Is there any calculation inter dependencies happening from 'DB Step A2 'to 'Step A8'

for eg.

Are they any Partition scripts used for data transfer from cube to cube starting from Step A2 to Step A8?

Are they any Multiple calculation scripts embedded in mxl for Step A2

Any Data export occuring On Step A2.?

Is your batch files triggers the mxl script if so Where does your Batch file reside which has the mxl scripts (in the server or in any of the drives)

Please clarify?

The Mxl script Starting from Step A2  might be running on a loop in the server and searching in the Drive with endless direction Hence the eating memory and sinking out the calculation process in the log file.

Thanks,

Sreekumar Hariharan

• 10. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Phulsebosch Pro

Hello Ankur,

yes, front-end tools have usually a time-out setting. Then the connection is broken between the front-end and the server. I really think this is happening here. That is why I do not launch MaxL scripts for production from EAS but on the server from commandline.

The maxl script in EAS issues each calc script individually. It waits for the returncode of the preceeding and starts the next script. When there is no returncode coming, the next script is not started.

From your description, I see that it might stop at the 11th step, but it can also be another. There are no error messages in the Essbase log file. The rest of the scripts can run without problem, when they are started again.

I see that the problem is not with the database (so do not rebuild it) and also not with the scripts. It is just the process.

My suggestion would be to do the process in a maxL script from the MaxL-commandline on the server. See how that works.

Where to look at for the time-out setting I do not know. This would be a different question in this forum.

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch

• 11. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    user10132385 Journeyer

What i mean to say is to restart your database before StepB2 which is causing the problem.

Can you split this in to two parts. Till StepB2 in one mxl script and from stepB2 in another Maxl.

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 12. Re: Maxl Automation for sequential calc scripts - just stops without giving any error
    Mister D. Newbie

Hi,

I had some cases, in which commands weren't executed for no obvious reason, very similar to your case.

It helped to set the execution on hold using the ping command within the script. After the execution of one command it halts before proceeding to the next command.

Meaning, you could place the ping command, which can do that trick in a MAXL script with the shell call, between the calculations.

Test it with different (even extreme ones) values to see if it helps.

Here is what I use. It will make the script wait for a certain period of time expressed in number of echo requests:

shell 'ping -n 10 localhost > nul' ;

/MrD

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points