3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 3:50 PM by newsun RSS

Problems with Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 update

newsun

The recent Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 update is causing problems with the Java plugins in Firefox 24. This is described in:

Java Plugin Security Issues

A second issue relating to this Java Platform SE 7 U45 update is the "Configure Java" item keep appearing on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List as seen in the screenshot. Normally, I can remove an item by right clicking on the Start menu and selecting "Remove from this list". But in the "Configure Java", it will not go away, I keep right clicking and selecting "Remove from this list" repeatedly and "Configure Java" is still on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List.

http://i.imgur.com/R560W7Q.png

http://i.imgur.com/R560W7Q.png

Then I reboot the system and then right click on the Start menu and select "Remove from this list". This time it remove "Configure Java", but then "Check For Updates" items appear. Again I remove "Check For Updates" and "About Java" will appear. After I remove "About Java", I have cleared all the items from the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List.

I thought the issue is over but it is not. If I run ccleaner and clean up the system, "Configure Java" will somehow mysteriously show up again on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List. Again I can repeatedly select "Remove from this list" and it will not remove "Configure Java" from the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List. If I reboot the system, then I can remove "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", "About Java" by selecting "Remove from this list".

At no point, after each reboot, I run "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java", so I do not know why it keep showing up on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List. I want to see the recently used programs and have the ability to remove them. But I do not want to see "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List because I did not run them. And if "Configure Java" does show up, I want to have the ability to remove it without rebooting.

How do I prevent "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" from showing up on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List without affecting other programs to show up?

• 1. Re: Problems with Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 update
          Rogerl-Oracle

How do I prevent "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" from showing up on the Start Menu Recently Used Programs List without affecting other programs to show up?

Have a look at this post http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/customize-the-start-menu

Java can be edited as before from the Control Panel.

-Roger

• 2. Re: Problems with Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 update
            newsun

This is the link for Windows 7 which I'm on:

Clear lists on the Start menu and taskbar

My present settings:

[checked] Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu

[unchecked] Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar check box.

If I unchecked "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu", that will not store and display any other programs including Java. I want to see CCleaner on that list if I run CCleaner. If I didn't run it, I don't want to see it on the list. And I don't want to see Java because I did not run Configure Java or Check or Updates manually.

The big question is why did "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" showed up on the list of "recently opened programs in the Start menu"? I didn't run these Java programs ("Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java") Can I prevent them from showing up on the list?

• 3. Re: Problems with Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 update
              newsun

The 3 Java programs, "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" that showed up on the list of "recently opened programs in the Start menu" is no longer showing up now. I don't know why and have done nothing to my system.

It started when I update Java to SE 7 U45 for 2 days. I posted the problem here. Roger mentioned about the settings in the Start menu. I unchecked "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu" for no specific reason. Then I checked it back because I want to see the programs I run (but not those I didn't run like the 3 Java programs). Essentially, I didn't change anything to my system, but maybe my "unchecking" and "checking" back did something to prevent the 3 Java programs, "Configure Java", "Check For Updates", and "About Java" to show up on the list.

I hope the 3 Java programs won't show up anymore in future. It is a nuisance and I can't remove it from the list, not unless I reboot.