This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 2:44 AM by mseberg RSS

Data Guard Backup

Jackie.KH Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Dear All,

Currently I'm using Oracle Data Guard,

My question is:

How do we backup database, which site should we take backup?

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Data Guard Backup
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

Some sites run their backups at the Standby server.  I prefer to run separate Backups at both the Primary and the Standby.

Hemant K Chitale

• 2. Re: Data Guard Backup
    CKPT Guru

Backups on standby is an advantage to offload from primary database. backups can be configure anywhere but depending on the load, server/disk stability, backup sizes/backup frequency.

Here are some documents which can guide you for better understanding the process

http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/298772-132349.pdf

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1396373600346674030

• 3. Re: Data Guard Backup
    mseberg Guru

"I prefer to run separate Backups at both the Primary and the Standby"

Hemant,

Would you be willing to provide a little more detail on this comment? Why exactly do you do this? How does the catalog and your scripts deal with removing old backups etc?

Thank You

mseberg

• 4. Re: Data Guard Backup

Don't use a shared catalog.

The standby site is 3000 kms away from the primary.  The standby hardware is smaller than the primary.

I compute that if I need to restore the primary, it is preferable to restore the primary from a local backup then do a failover to the standby and suffer performance issues for critical jobs.  The failover to the standby is to be done only when we have true site failure at the primary and the time to recover the primary is unacceptable.

NOTE  : This was the implementation at a previous site.

Hemant K Chitale

• 5. Re: Data Guard Backup
    CKPT Guru

HemantKChitale wrote:

Don't use a shared catalog.

The standby site is 3000 kms away from the primary.  The standby hardware is smaller than the primary.

I compute that if I need to restore the primary, it is preferable to restore the primary from a local backup then do a failover to the standby and suffer performance issues for critical jobs.  The failover to the standby is to be done only when we have true site failure at the primary and the time to recover the primary is unacceptable.

NOTE  : This was the implementation at a previous site.

Hemant K Chitale

Agreed, But i want to explore more on this.

If in case we configure backups only on standby , standby is too far and certainly it may take time to scp/copy the backups to primary in case of primary failue.. But what is the necessity to configure backups both on primary and standby databases? it can be overwhelm to configure on both sites? occupies disk space, managing and even load and so on... so there are disadvantates too...isn't it?

• 6. Re: Data Guard Backup

The backup schedules differ on the Primary and the Standby.  Backups are to tape , not disk.

Even running a single backup on a non-DG environment is a load.  I wouldn't say that the load of running backups at both Primary and Standby is disadvantageous.

Hemant K Chitale

• 7. Re: Data Guard Backup
    mseberg Guru

Hemant;

Thanks for your time and information. I really like this idea, it makes a ton of sense.

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points