8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2013 2:55 PM by user9062184 RSS

Solaris 11.1 stuck at npe0 is /pci@0,0

Hi all.

Something a bit sad, here. One of my happiest, best running file servers (white box) running Solaris 11.1 (x86) has seemingly failed me after about 78 days of uptime since the last patch. I'll explain the background:

* Board: GA-Z77-UD5H, LGA1150

* RAM: 16GB

* Inte Core i5 current gen (well, one back from Haswell)

* Dual 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA boot drives in a ZFS rpool mirror

Box had been up for about 76 days. Thought it was sane to give it a patch and a reboot!

pkg image-update -v etc etc.

Made a new boot environment, and off we go.

Reboots now hang at banner, consistently. Even when I rip all the disk out of the system, swapped all the DIMM's out, removed any extra PCI-E network devices (there were none), reset CMOS checksum defaults, upgraded the BIOS, tried booting from the CD...still, hangs at banner. No matter what I do, it hangs at banner. Driven me nuts all day. I managed to boot Windows and ubuntu just fine. Wondering what on earth is going on here, to that end. Started to assume hardware, but I don't think that's the case.

When I add a -v to my boot args, I see:

SMBIOS v2.7 loaded (10333 bytes)initialized model-specific module 'cpu_ms.GenuineIntel' on chip 0 core 0 strand 0
      root nexus = i86pc
      pseudo0 at root
      pseudo0 is /pseudo
      scsi_vhci0 at root
      scsi_vhci0 is /scsi_vhci
      npe0 at root: space 0 offset 0
      npe0 is /pci@0,0

And this is as far as I ever get. I've tried several things, rolling back boot environments, ripping entire disk sub system out etc, and nothing. It's like the system has "changed" somehow in hardware, which isn't possible, and my previous boot environments that were running fine no longer work.

Any help or direction would be so very much appreciated!

Thanks, all.