2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 8:42 AM by user9156404 RSS

Solaris 11 installation on x86 machine - unable to boot

user9156404

My first rook post

Installing a live CD edition of 11 on an x86 PC to test seems problematic.

Once booted, I use gparted to remove all partitions as to have a "clean" drive.

Start the install and choose "use entire disk".

Installation proceed as per normal.

Once complete, the "reboot" button is hit.

This just reboot the system to the CD again.

When the CD is removed, the system does not want to boot from the hard disk, even though it is set to boot as a second boot device (CD being the first).

My conclusions are (besides being dumb ) are the GRUB are not installed on the correct partition that the BIOS passes the boot handler to initiate the boot sequence...

How do I configure the partition for GRUB to be installed correctly?

Do I have to boot live again and edit the boot handler, to point to the hard disk?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Solaris 11 installation on x86 machine - unable to boot
          Cindys-Oracle

Hi --

Which x86 platform is this?

Some x86 platforms seem to have trouble with setting the active boot partition.

If you can boot this system from media and set the active partition through the format-->fdisk utility,

that might help.

Thanks, Cindy

• 2. Re: Solaris 11 installation on x86 machine - unable to boot
            user9156404

This is a desktop PC. We run about 900 Sun / Oracle servers in our shop - all in production.

Feedback on the solution:

The system was rebooted with the live CD.

gparted showed the HDD as /dev/dsk/c7t0d0p2

Partition                         Filesystem          Size               Used               Unused                  Flags

/dev/dsk/c7t0d0p1          unknown               255.88MiB     ---                    ---                         bios_grub

/dev/dsk/c7t0d0p2          unknown               465.50GiB     ---                    ---                         ---

/dev/dsk/c7t0d0p9          unknown                   8.00MiB    ---                    ---                         ---

p1 needed to be made active.

Root access was obtained (jack@solaris) password solaris.

# format > fdisk > 2. Specify the active partition > type "1"

A reboot took the machine straight to GRUB - thank you.