4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 4:36 AM by GavinTin RSS

Change in Width of Characters in Forms 11g after migration

GavinTin

I found that the width of Chinese Characters are significantly increased in Forms 11g.  Since I have to keep the layout unchanged after Forms 11g upgrade, would anyone provide advise on how to retain the width of Chinese Characters in Forms 11g after upgrade. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Change in Width of Characters in Forms 11g after migration
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Please provide more details:

1.  Exactly which Forms version are you currently using?

2.  Exactly which Java plugin version are you using to run your application on the client?

3.  Exactly which Forms version were you using previously?
          4.  If the previous version was deployed via a browser and not client/server, exactly which Java plugin version was used to run the application on the client?

5.  When you say "width", are you referring to the visual representation of the characters or the visual size of the associated field or the max number of characters allowed in the field?

Any additional details would be helpful.

• 2. Re: Change in Width of Characters in Forms 11g after migration
            GavinTin

1.  Exactly which Forms version are you currently using? 11gR2

2.  Exactly which Java plugin version are you using to run your application on the client? Java 7

3.  Exactly which Forms version were you using previously? 6i
            4.  If the previous version was deployed via a browser and not client/server, exactly which Java plugin version was used to run the application on the client? Previous version is client/server mode

5.  When you say "width", are you referring to the visual representation of the characters or the visual size of the associated field or the max number of characters allowed in the field? visual representation of the characters

• 3. Re: Change in Width of Characters in Forms 11g after migration
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle

I don't want to come across as "picky", but for future reference, 11gR2, Java 7, and 6i are not "exact versions".  These are part of product marketing names and could potentially represent dozens of actual versions.  This can be very important because if for example I knew of a bug in Java 7U21 and you said you were using Java 7U21, I would have been able to quickly tell you that there is a known bug in that version and you could just update your Java version and be done.  But without those details, helping becomes more difficult and time consuming.  This is common problem when working with Support.  In order to have the best possible experience when working with any Support organization or technical forum, always provide precise details about the problem and the products you are using.  It will help you get to a solution much faster. 

So, given what you have provided, I can tell you that the representation you see in an old client/server application likely will appear somewhat different when deployed as a Java applet, regardless of the Forms version.  In your client/server environment, the application is running as a native C application on the client.  It can take advantage of the underlying OS and its features, including its fonts.  When you moved your application to a java environment, significant changes occurred under the hood.  The java environment uses "java fonts" and not necessarily the fonts found on the machine.  This is partially what allow the application to be compatible with almost any client.  Local fonts can be used but additional configuration would be required.

My point is, what you are seeing is mostly expected.  Some adjustments likely will be necessary when moving from client/server to web.  Exactly how you make these changes will depend on exactly how the application was developed.  Here are your options as I see them, but again, which will work best for you will depend on the design of the app:

1.  Decrease the font size in the fmb

2.  Use a different font in the fmb

3.  Adjust the font size or name in Registry.dat.  Changing the default size likely will not help if you have hard coded a font size in your application

4.  Using the clientDPI parameter might help, but will also alter the appearance of other components.  It might be worth testing since it's easy to do.  Refer to the Forms Deployment Guide for details.  I will assume you are using 11.1.2.1.  Here is the link for its Deployment Guide:

Configuring and Managing Forms Services - 11g Release 2 (11.1.2)

• 4. Re: Change in Width of Characters in Forms 11g after migration
                GavinTin

Thanks Michael.

My customer is going to do a migration project, which is from Forms 6i to 11gR2. There are over 1000 forms and that's why they are not going to the adjustment manually. So option (1), (2) and probably (3) won't help.

I will try option (4). Thanks for your advice.