This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 11:59 AM by 80sRocker RSS

ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions

80sRocker Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have installed the ODP.Net managed drivers using the "ODP.Net Managed Only XCopy" installation on one of our IIS servers.  I have a few questions about the installation.

1) After running the configuration it adds the following setting to the machine.config This does not look correct to me, since the actual directory where the tnsnames,ora file is located in is C:\Oracle\ODP.NET\network\admin.  Can someone verify if the setting is correct in the machine.config and if so why is it set like that instead of just the actual directory path.

<setting name="tns_admin" value="c:\oracle\odp.net\v121010\managed\x64\..\..\..\network\admin" />         

Shouldn't it be

<setting name="tns_admin" value="C:\Oracle\ODP.NET\network\admin" />

2) It does not appear that a windows application we wrote to test the managed drive with uses the above setting or the value it is set to by the configuration.bat is not correct.  I could not get the windows application to work until I set the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable to "C:\Oracle\ODP.NET\network\admin".  That is not a big issue, since setting that variable is our standard, just curious why the application did not work with just the machine.config  tns_admin setting set.

Thanks in advance for any help given getting answers to these questions.

• 1. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions
    Alex_Keh - Oracle_Product_Manager Expert

The Xcopy config script makes an assumption that you will keep the existing unzipped structure and place your *.ora files under the "\network\admin" directory. That's the default behavior. You may use a different location, but you need to modify the configuration script accordingly. Basically, any customized setup, you will need to modify the configuration script in some way.

The thinking behind the xcopy install is small, unattended, and flexible configuration. With the GUI installer, the installer will set up automatically any of the most common customization choices.

• 2. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions
    80sRocker Newbie

But I did keep the directory structure as far as the network\admin directory is concerned.  The only change I made was to the ODP.Net directory that is in the same directory as the network directory.  I changed it to v121010. So under C:\Oracle I have

ODP.Net

network

admin

* This is where our sql.ora and tnsnames.ora file are located and we have the TNS_Admin environmental pointing to this directory.

v121010 (originally ODP.Net, changed to accommodate future versions being installed side-by-side)

managed

common

x64

So the change I made to the ODP.Net directory name should not affect the path to the network\admin directory.

<setting name="tns_admin" value="c:\oracle\odp.net\v121010\managed\x64\..\..\..\network\admin" />         

And to prove this I did an install using the default directories (still under C:\Oracle) and the setting value still is not a valid directory location.

<setting name="tns_admin" value="c:\oracle\odp.net\odp.net\managed\x64\..\..\..\network\admin" />

This looks to me like the configuration.bat is trying to get the default path by:

* Starting at the path where the driver is installed  ------------  c:\oracle\odp.net\odp.net\managed\x64"

* Then goinging back 3 directories (..\..\..\network\admin)  --  c:\Oracle\odp.net\network\admin (which is what I thought it should be set to)

I think the value being set is suppose to be the physical directory, but instead it is concatenating 2 string together that are used to "dynamically" get the physical path to the network\admin directory. I honestly think this is a bug in the configuration.bat.

• 3. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions

I tested with the "c:\oracle\odp.net\odp.net\managed\x64\..\..\..\network\admin" and with "c:\oracle\odp.net\network\admin". Both work fine to allow ODP.NET to find its *.ora files. Both formats are valid.

If you prefer one over the other, you can modify the batch file or the post-install output as you'd like, but this is not a bug.

• 4. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions
    80sRocker Newbie

So I guess I am still not sure why the windows client application gets TNS error, but after adding TNS_Admin environmental variable the application works fine.  Is the machine.config use for windows client applications, or only web based applications?  Is there a setting in the application config that tell the application to use the setting in the machine.config?

Not that big of deal, since it is probably better for us to set the setting the in TNS_Names environmental variable for our IIS Servers.  Just wondering why the application does not work without the environmental variable set.

• 5. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions

Ah, the fact that TNS_ADMIN in machine.config is not recognized may be a bug. I can't explain why the machine.config setting isn't used by managed ODP.NET. It should be.

machine.config is used for all .NET applications. app.config is used in higher precedence than machine.config.

If you want to investigate further, can you test the TNS_ADMIN directory in you web.config or app.config? How about if you use the <dataSource> setting for your connect descriptor instead? The latter overrides the former FYI if you try to set both.

<oracle.manageddataaccess.client>

<version number="*">

<dataSources>

<!-- <dataSource alias="orcl" descriptor="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))"/> -->

</dataSources>

<settings>

<!-- <setting name="TNS_ADMIN" value="C:\dir1\dir2\"/>  -->

</settings>

</version>

</oracle.manageddataaccess.client>

• 6. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions

Let me ask something, are you installing into a 32-bit or 64-bit .NET Framework? Is your application running in the 32-bit or 64-bit .NET Framework?

A likely reason that the TNS_ADMIN environment variable works, but not the .NET config settings is that you've run the 32-bit configure.bat script, but your app is running in 64-bit .NET Framework, or vice versa. You can tell what bitness the script is by which directory it's located in upon unzipping.

• 7. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions
    80sRocker Newbie

The application is running on a 64-bit machine and I ran the configuration.bat for the 64-bit driver, so pretty sure that is not it. I will try to test some of the things you mentioned earlier in this post by the end of this week and post what I find out here.

• 8. Re: ODP.Net Managed Only Installation Questions

Verify that you're using the 64-bit .NET Framework, not the 32-bit .NET Framework. The OS may be 64-bit, but it's possible to run 32-bit .NET Framework on a 64-bit OS.

In your C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\ directory, there are two subdirectories, one for 32-bit (Framework) and one for 64-bit (Framework64). Each has its own machine.config depending on the bitness of the .NET Framework you use.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points