This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 10:53 AM by kmount RSS

Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?

jd Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Having found out that our entire Oracle VDI/Sun Ray estate is now more worthless than previously thought, I'm looking at putting a real VDI solution in. VMware View is my current choice due to using vSphere as the backend to our current Oracle VDI solution. The idea is that I re-use our existing vSphere backend with VMware View, and configure a Sun Ray server with the View connector to broker connections to our existing Sun Rays. I can then order new Wyse thin clients as required and progressively phase out the Sun Rays, meaning no big hit replacing all of the clients in one go. Kinda makes sense

However, as is the case with anything Sun Ray-related, there is a catch. Sun Ray Software v5.4.1 lists View 5.1 as the highest supported version, has anyone tested it with 5.2 and does it work? Are there any plans to add support for 5.2 in the next release of the software considering Oracle are ditching the whole thing?

Cheers

JD

• 1. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    kmount Newbie

Hi JD,

Yes, Horizon View 5.2 works fine.

• 2. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    user5162363 Newbie

Hello kmount!

How did you import the Horizon View server SSL certificates into your Sun Ray environment?  I am having problems with this step, while the keytool command works fine, the messages file shows error messages from the VMware view connector indicating that the certificates are not there or invalid.  The vdm script contains the proper keystore location and password.

Are you using a pair of view servers, or just one?  Did you import one or two certificates?  What keys (aka aliases) did you use?

Thanks -- Volker

• 3. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    kmount Newbie

Hi Volker,

We've got a number of customers with at least a pair of connection servers, in some cases more though the commonality is that they are accessed via DNSRR (as opposed to a LB) and that a single certificate was used containing the names of the DNSRR and the connection servers themselves. (so, we've got cs1, cs2, and cs3, along with cs on the cert)

So yeah, we import the certificate into the keystore in /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/vdm/keystore along with the keystore pass set in /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/vdm/vdm and it all just works.

Admittedly though we do run a custom kiosk that reads in some other goodies but the important bit I suppose is that we run:

/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/vdm/vdm -s cs.domain.com -https

(and it all just magically works!)

Do you get anything useful on screen or does it just cycle around upset?

• 4. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    user5162363 Newbie

Well, I only added the certificate of the first cs as per the instruction in the SRS 5.4.1 doc.   The two connection servers have the cert of their counterpart imported, so I thought one cert in the client was enough.

Fortunately, I was eventually able to export the root certificate from the *old* installation.  And fortunately VMware hadn't changed it between those versions.  So I added three certificates, two new server and one old root CA certificate, using three different aliases, and that worked   This was all thanks to a hint on the sunray-users mailing list.

Now I need to find out why the two old secondary servers running SRSS 5.2 are showing the proper localized German VMware login prompt, and the two new secondary servers running SR 5.4.1 are showing the default English prompt, completely ignoring the -l de_DE argument in the Kiosk mode configuration... :-(

Regards -- Volker

• 5. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    kmount Newbie

Hi Volker,

Can you see from a pargs on the vdm command that indeed the -l de_DE is definitely being passed?

• 6. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    user5162363 Newbie

Good point.  Will check when I am on site next time.

However, I looked at the vdm script from the old pre-upgrade installation (I am comparing file by file ...) and noticed that they pass an extra "-Duser.language=" argument.  It seems that the default installation will not show languages other than English, hence the manual modification.  I will post the final result here.

• 7. Re: Sun Ray software 5.4.1 and VMware Horizon View 5.2 - does it work?
    kmount Newbie

Sounds like you've found a good angle on this Volker.

I'll look forward to hearing of your progress.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points