4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 8:13 AM by 939520 RSS

Java SE6 > SE7

Hello all, I am new here (and in java) and I do hope I can become one fine programmer one day.

Anyways my question is regarding JAVA SE6. I am currently on a course that has been going on for a while (I am halfway through), and I just noticed that they do not allow anyone to sign up to do the Java SE6 course anymore (im wondering if i should of done more research and started SE7 instead of SE6)

Anyways I read on eric romang blog that most people are moving onto SE7 because of the support for SE6 has sort of ended.

My question is, is it essential for me to progress to do SE7 or will I still be OK (and maybe find some work) with SE6?

I'm having trouble enough with getting SE6 to install on my system again as you cant really download it from Oracles site, so that is another reason why I am thinking about SE7.

Looking forward to your resonse,

Regards

Gurpal

Message was edited by: 937196

• 1. Re: Java SE6 > SE7
          rp0428
          Anyways my question is regarding JAVA SE6. I am currently on a course that has been going on for a while (I am halfway through), and I just noticed that they do not allow anyone to sign up to do the Java SE6 course anymore (im wondering if i should of done more research and started SE7 instead of SE6)

If you want to be a professional in ANY field the first habit you should develop is to FINISH whatever you start.

Reread everything you just posted slowly and carefully and there are at least three things you said that make it appear as if you are just looking for excuses to quit. Nobody like a quitter!

You started the SE6 course for a reason. Has that reason changed? It doesn't sound like it to me. The course has 'been going on for a while'. Well that is either because it is a long course or it is because you are just doing it S-L-O-W-L-Y. If it is a long course then all the more reason to finish it and then decide what you want to do next.

If you are just doing it 'slowly' then you either don't have any more time to dedicate to it or you have just CHOSEN not to dedicate any more time to it. If you don't have the time you won't have the time for SE7 either so why throw away half of a course you have already completed?

Then you say 'wondering if i should of done more research'. What difference does that make now? That just sounds like an excuse. That is 'water under the bridge', kaput, over, history. Don't try to change history; that is a losing battle.

FINISH WHAT YOU START!

Then we come to two statements that are just plain wrong. Worse - a simple web search would have shown you they are wrong. So again making the statements SOUNDS LIKE youu are making excuses. I'm not saying you are. I'm saying it comes across that way:

Anyways I read on eric romang blog that most people are moving onto SE7 because of the support for SE6 has sort of ended.
          . . .
          I'm having trouble enough with getting SE6 to install on my system again as you cant really download it from Oracles site, so that is another reason why I am thinking about SE7. 

Support for SE6 hasn't 'ended'

From that page you can still download over 100 older versions of Java including: Java SE 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 5 and 6

All you need to do is create a free Oracle account so that Oracle knows you have agreed to the license terms and export license restrictions.

So keep in mind when someone says 'you cant' that comes across as an absolute statement of fact. When someone says "I don't think", or ""I'm not sure" you can download that is very different. And if you aren't sure that is what the forums are for. Just ask "Can I still download older versions" or ask "Where can I download older versions".

A search for 'oracle java dowload' will have the link for the main download page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

That page is for the latest released version of Java. That is the recommended version of Java for people just getting started.

But on the top right of that page is a link for 'Previous Releases':

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/archive-139210.html

That one page tells you you need an oracle account and has links for ALL of the older versions. Each older version has its own page and lists all of the releases of that older version.

For version 1.1 you can download 22 different releases from 1.1.6_009 to 1.1.8_16.

On that same 'Previous Releases' page is this statement:

Current update releases for JDK 5.0 and 6 are available for support customers.  If you already have a support contract see support note 1412103.2  To learn more about Oracle Java SE Support visit our Java SE Products Page.

Your last actual question

My question is, is it essential for me to progress to do SE7 or will I still be OK (and maybe find some work) with SE6?

Yes - you will be OK

SE6 has a lot of life in it. That said, as time goes by more and more companies will be upgrading to version 7.

Finish what you started. Then, as time allows, start learning about the new functionality provided in version 7.

• 2. Re: Java SE6 > SE7

Wow, I am literally blown away.

I guess my attitude towards learning Java is wrong and you are right in many ways.I need to focus on finishing my course as that is what I want and to change this giving up mood.

Thank you for the insight, positive reinforcement and all the helpful links you have provided.

it is a real big help!!!

• 3. Re: Java SE6 > SE7
              gimbal2

That blog you read is still correct, but that doesn't mean you can interpret it to apply to your situation. Java 6 is indeed end of life so companies that have Java in their technology stack should upgrade to Java 7 in which development and patching is continued. Where in all that does that apply to you learning Java though? Why did you even make that connection?

You might ASSUME that Java 7 (the language) is 100% different than Java 6 and so you must make a switch, but did you check that out before you created this post? The answer to that question is really important for you to answer for yourself; it is not your attitude towards learning Java, it is how you interpret and utilize information (or a lack of information in the case of not finding the download) that you collect that I find a little suspect. But that is something you develop through personal growth, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• 4. Re: Java SE6 > SE7

Adding more clarification on what has already been posted:

I believe the vast bulk of what you learn in java6 will still be valid in java7 so go ahead and stay with the java6 course.

Since you're just starting out, I suspect you will not even have a use for the advanced topics in Java7 at this time.