This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 6:16 AM by user6445925 RSS

12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.

user6445925 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to do an install of EBS 12.2 on Red Hat Linux 5.8 x86_64 and have a couple of questions.

My first attempt failed on Step 1 of the Installation with a RW-5004 error.

After doing some additional searching and reading posts I found someone else who had the same issue which was resolved by not using the Stage directory via an NFS share.

Is that indeed an issue?

I also realized I had a couple of other zip files in my download directory that can apparently cause issues per Doc ID 1588372.1 so I removed my Documentation CD's from that location and I will re-run the buildStage script but that brings me back to my first statement and I still have a couple of questions.

1. Is running my staged directory via NFS supported?

2. Previously I just ran "1. Create new stage area" and "2. Linux x86_64" but I see reference to also then running  "2. Copy new patches to current stage area".  Just confirming I also need to run that.

3. I have 2 servers setup for this so I can have my app tier on a 2nd server.  Is that going to complicate my install to the point where I should stick to just 1 server initially?  Issue is I don't have all the space I need on one server at this time.

• 1. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE

After doing some additional searching and reading posts I found someone else who had the same issue which was resolved by not using the Stage directory via an NFS share.

Is that indeed an issue?

Can you point to the link?

1. Is running my staged directory via NFS supported?

Yes, and I did manage to install it via NFS with no issues -- What commend did you use to mount?

2. Previously I just ran "1. Create new stage area" and "2. Linux x86_64" but I see reference to also then running  "2. Copy new patches to current stage area".  Just confirming I also need to run that.

Please see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/V39571_01/current/acrobat/122oaig.pdf -- Run buildStage Script

3. I have 2 servers setup for this so I can have my app tier on a 2nd server.  Is that going to complicate my install to the point where I should stick to just 1 server initially?  Issue is I don't have all the space I need on one server at this time.

It should be OK as long as your stage area directory is created properly and you meet all OS pre-req. software/packages.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 3. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

Ran it again and I have a few more details.

Step 2 when I get this RMAN error.

Phase 1 of RMAN recovery: Restore backup control file.

Executing command: sh -c "ORACLE_SID=ORCLVIS;export ORACLE_SID;ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0;export ORACLE_HOME; /app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0/bin/rman target / nocatalog @/app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0/appsutil/out/VIS_db5t/restore-rac1.rman > /app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0/appsutil/out/VIS_db5t/restore-rac1.log"

Unable to restore backup control file

RW-50010: Error: - script has returned an error:   1
    RW-50004: Error code received when running external process.  Check log file for details.
    Running Database Install Driver for VIS instance

If I check the restore-rac1.log I see:

connected to target database: ORCLVIS (not mounted)
    using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

RMAN> #
    2> # $Header: restore-rac1.rman 120.3 2013/03/15 16:39:14 rledezma noship $
    3> #
    4> # This SQL script was used in EBS 12.1 Rapid Clone to restore a backup
    5> # control file.  As RI evolved to use RMAN to restore a backup database
    6> # in the staging area, we are using it in RI with a few modifications.
    7> #
    8> startup nomount pfile=/app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0/dbs/RMANinit.ora
    9> restore controlfile from '/orapatch/StageR122/EBSInstallMedia/AppDB/VISION/backup_controlfile.ctl';
    10> alter database mount;
    11> exit
    database is already started

Starting restore at 25-OCT-13
    allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
    channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=126 device type=DISK

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 10/25/2013 14:55:04
    RMAN-06172: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece

Recovery Manager complete.

Check what RMANinit.ora says:

[root@db5t ~]# cat /app/oracle/VIS/11.2.0/dbs/RMANinit.ora

# $Header: RMANinit.ora 120.1 2011/08/24 04:09:46 rledezma noship $

db_name=ORCLVIS

db_unique_name=VIS

db_files = 4096

#db_create_file_dest=/u10/oracle/VIS/data

#db_recovery_file_dest=/u10/oracle/VIS/data

#db_recovery_file_dest_size=300g

control_files = /u10/oracle/VIS/data/controlfile_VIS1.ctl,/u10/oracle/VIS/data/controlfile_VIS2.ctl,/u10/oracle/VIS/data/controlfile_VIS3.ctl

sga_target=1g

processes=200

sga_max_size=2g

open_cursors=1000

compatible=11.2.0

No controlfiles (or any files) in the datafile directory listed.  /u10 is my datafile directory.

[root@db5t ~]# ls /u10/oracle/VIS/data/controlfile_VIS*

ls: /u10/oracle/VIS/data/controlfile_VIS*: No such file or directory

[root@db5t ~]# ls /u10/oracle/VIS/data/

Does that shed any light on anything?  I don't see any oracle process's running like I did the first time when this bombed.

• 4. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.

Ran it again and I have a few more details.

database is already started

Do you have a previous failed installation on this node? If yes, did you clean it before running Rapidwiz again?

Thanks,

Hussein

• 5. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

What's the proper method to clean?  I deleted (rm -rf) my /app/oracle/VIS and /app/oraInventory directories.

• 6. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.

user6445925 wrote:

What's the proper method to clean?  I deleted (rm -rf) my /app/oracle/VIS and /app/oraInventory directories.

This should be sufficient. Please also see (Doc ID 110372.1) which is applicable to 11i/R12

Thanks,

Hussein

• 7. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

Yah didn't see too much different in that Doc either.  I did reboot the db server and I think I may have gotten further along like in my first attempt as I do see ORCLVIS pmon etc. processes running which didn't seem to happen in my 2nd attempt.

How important is swap space?  I only have 4G while recommended is 16G.

• 8. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.

How much memory do you have on this server? Please see (Doc ID 169706.1)

Thanks,

Hussein

• 9. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

I have 8GB on DB server and 16GB on app server.

I'm re-checking my packages and finding I did a crappy job of verifying both i386 and x86_64 packages are installed.

Missing 3 packages so far: libstdc++-devel-4.1.2.52.el5 (i386), libXp-1.0.0.8.1.el5 (x86_64) and gdbm-1.8.0.26.2.1.el5_6.1 (i386).

My bad there so hope that makes a difference.

I'll clean up, re-run, check Install Guide if necessary and update this post after.

• 10. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

I've decided to scale back my install to be just a single server install and local staging directory which appears to be working (at least the log file now shows "Restoring datafiles' and I have 45G of datafiles now).  If this works then I may try again with separate App Tier Node.

Then that will help narrow down if it is an NFS issue or not.

• 11. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

Just to update here, my single server install 'almost' worked but it seemed to hang on Step 7 of 8 running adrunctl.sh, my server was hung so I had to reboot it.

I was able to afterwards start the database; startup the app tier and login to the WebLogic console but I couldn't actually login (got a "Failure of server APACHE bridge") so I decided to start over and this time configure it as a two node system.

The end result was a screen showing 'Validate Completed Installation' but after that I don't seem to have anything on my App Node.

Any idea why that would be?

• 12. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    The end result was a screen showing 'Validate Completed Installation' but after that I don't seem to have anything on my App Node.

Would you please elaborate more on this?

Thanks,

Hussein

• 13. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.
    user6445925 Newbie

Sure.  I'm stepping through it now and I find if I install everything on a single server it processes the File Space" checks and I can see where it does database and the -- apps node space checks --.

If I navigate back and select my 2nd server as my Primary Application Node it doesn't seem to process any of that.  It builds the database installs my db node files but I don't get any 'fs1 or fs2' directories created.

It's like it just skips that part even though I entered the Primary Host Name/Domain Name.

My Node Information screen shows that I have selected a different server.

I can then see it does a connectivity check of that server and PING succeeds.

Yet end result is no checks for app server space requirements in File Space or File Systems checks.

Is there anything I need to have configured when installing on 2 servers that I am missing? Is there an additional step I'm overlooking?

• 14. Re: 12.2 - Vision install via NFS etc.

Can you please provide more details about what services are you planning to run on each server we can answer your question?

Is it something like the following?

Node1: DB + Primary Apps node

Node2: Secondary Apps node

Do you have shared application file system?

Thanks,

Hussein

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points