This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:07 AM by Mark D Powell Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    Mark D Powell Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

I think he was using the term compress as in the data being more tightly packed after the operation and not as in object compression being used.  The second part of the statement seems to be referring to index blocks after a rebuild when he mentions block splits.  Block splits to support inserts only happen with indexes and are one reason why insert processes can be adversely affected by index rebuilds.

To answer the OP's question.  You can estimate how much space you get back by calculating how much space N rows of data X the avg_row_len / (block size - overhead )requires and comparing this to how much space is allocated to the object.  Then take into account the tablespace extent allocation methodology in use (auto-allocate, uniform extents, dictionary).

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 16. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    jgarry Guru

That sure is an odd way to explain how shrinking makes OLTP operations faster.  I would expect: more index splits; and rows in blocks contending with each other more; would likely make things slower.

• 17. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    TSharma-Oracle Guru

Mark D Powell Are you really trying to justify his reply? Did you take a look at his other posts I mentioned in my reply what he is doing just to get points? he is creating his own user...posting a question and giving a wrong answer and hem mark it as CORRECT.  This could be disastrous for the freshers who follows his wrong but marked corrected answers. And this is definitely good for the reputation of the forum.

• 18. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    EdStevens Guru

TSharma wrote:

Are you really trying to justify his reply? Did you take a look at his other posts I mentioned in my reply what he is doing just to get points? he is creating his own user...posting a question and giving a wrong answer and hem mark it as CORRECT.  This could be disastrous for the freshers who follows his wrong but marked corrected answers. And this is definitely good for the reputation of the forum.

Correction:  And this is definitely NOT good for the reputation of the forum.

• 19. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    TSharma-Oracle Guru

Spazing

• 20. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    Mark D Powell Guru

TSharma, My response was based purely on Anar's post and your comments on it and the difference in how I read his comments. I only looked at the top of your referenced threads until today.  None of the links you posted in the first thread are valid, but your observation is troubling.  Still that does not change my view on what he was actually trying to say.  English does not appear to be his first language.

- -

I directed the second half of my response to what I believe the OP's question is.  As far as I know the OP is a real user.  If not, shame.

- -

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 21. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

TSharma wrote:

Are you saying shrink will compress data in blocks? really?

i hope this is not your another try by creating self made user and get some points.

I hope everybody checks the following link to know  what are you doing exactly (how yo are creating users and getting point). What is your purpose of getting points like this?

RMAN ERROR - 06428

ORA-01548: active rollback segment

AFAIK, Anar has been warned by admins and so banned for a week, hopefully he understood what has been said to him. The other user asking questions and giving him points in the linked threads is banned "for ever".

That said, in this very thread, it does not look obvious to be a case of "give me points".

Nicolas.

• 22. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    jgarry Guru

I was going to suggest to TSharma that perhaps the person has learned his lesson, is now trying to help, and we should encourage that.  I'm glad I didn't, that would have been wildly overoptimistic.  The links posted clearly showed manipulation, that was a good catch, though I was thinking it would be pretty funny if there were two people trying to game the system, who were now blaming each other.  More likely, he or they just will try harder to game the system, being more subtle about point whoring.  Welcome to the brave new world of anti-social media.

• 23. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    Anar Godjaev Expert

Dear All,

What I see is that I have to give a little explanation here. I admit that I knew  the person who created threads and I answered them. However it wasn't how TSharma was thinking. That person has been giving me a lot of questions everyday  and through skype all I did was I  suggested him posts his question on forum and I answered the threads the were no change for  me at all only extra point

everybody is free to think whatever he/she thinks about situation but I don't feel guilty. I don't claim that it was ethic but also  I do not see any illegal action here and finally have to say that moderators have disabled his account and I answer his question through sjkype again

same old I returned my normal life .

With many thanks

• 24. Re: How to know how much I can shrink the table
    Mark D Powell Guru

" Welcome to the brave new world of anti-social media"

--

A quick google or bing search on that phrase already found something promising:

Anti-Social Media? This App Tells You Where Your Friends Won’t Be

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/06/anti-social-media-this-app-tells-you-where-your-friends-wont-be/

- -

Mark D Powell

1 2 Previous Next

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points