This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 5:51 PM by Dude! RSS

Is the forum software falling apart?

Dude! Guru
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday I posted a note about the stuck communications counter, which happened again, but this post was nowhere to be found and still has not appeared anywhere. And apparently, others make the same experiences. Seems like there are some problems with the internal forum notification system.

I think some confirmation or note from the forum administration whether or not this is a known issue would be necessary.

• 1. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

I see if I can ping an admin to come respond and let us know what's going on (if they even know themselves!)

• 2. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Hoek Guru

I think some confirmation or note from the forum administration whether or not this is a known issue would be necessary.

I've been asking for the same for almost a week.

But perhaps my rants are 'invisibilized' as well, just as others lose posts...

• 3. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Please bear in mind that admin are not always available due to timezones and other workload which it seems they're involved in.  Even the moderators don't get immediate responses from them. 

• 4. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Dude! Guru

I'm starting to believe that the forum community is doing Oracle too much of a favor. Apparently it is not appreciated.

• 5. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Hoek Guru

Yes, I'm aware, Blu, but this has been going on for almost a week, I cannot recall gettting no response whatsoever for such a long period.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

• 6. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Dude        ! wrote:

I'm starting to believe that the forum community is doing Oracle too much of a favor. Apparently it is not appreciated.

It could be the opposite as well... perhaps the community doesn't appreciate the other things that admin have to do in their jobs, or who is actually available.

Not knowing exactly what they have to do, or how much they may be there in the background running around trying to sort things out, it's hard for us to know for sure.  I very much doubt they are ignoring things, and I know they've been around a few days ago and dealt with some issues the mods have had e.g. banning some members

• 7. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    TimG Guru

BluShadow wrote:

Dude        ! wrote:

It could be the opposite as well... perhaps the community doesn't appreciate the other things that admin have to do in their jobs, or who is actually available.

"All is for the best, in the best of all possible worlds"

I participate in several fora administered by people who do have day jobs.  I can't remember ever hearing nothing for this long when a technical problem occurred on any of them.  Just posting "We know, and we're working on it!" would be helpful.

• 8. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Dude! Guru

Of course I do not know how much effort the admin or OTN staff put in to make the forum work the way it does, but judging by the result, I'm not impressed. Is the OTN forum managed by one of the largest IT corporations in the world or by some hobbyists? But whoever it is or whatever difficulties there are, the communication since the last forum upgrade has been pathetic, especially considering this is a community of IT professionals. But maybe the OTN staff or Oracle does not consider the community professionals.

• 9. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, BluShadow. We're in a big behind-the-scenes transition phase, so thank you for bearing with us. Rest assured that we truly do appreciate the forum community and the moderators here!

I know of one issue we're working on behind the scenes regarding recent activity, and we are continuing work on a long-term spam solution, but I haven't heard anything about the communications counter. (Only speaking for myself personally, not for all of Oracle.) I will make sure this is addressed.

• 10. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Dude! Guru

Are these technical or personal transitions? Beside the currently most pressing problems, have you heard anything about addressing the editor formatting and cut and paste issues? I'm still correcting some of my previous guides and code samples that were messed up after the forum upgrade. I'm not sure if posting anything new is a good idea if the big transition means you are upgrading to Jive 6.

• 11. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    EdStevens Guru

moniquevdb wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, BluShadow. We're in a big behind-the-scenes transition phase, so thank you for bearing with us. Rest assured that we truly do appreciate the forum community and the moderators here!

I know of one issue we're working on behind the scenes regarding recent activity, and we are continuing work on a long-term spam solution, but I haven't heard anything about the communications counter. (Only speaking for myself personally, not for all of Oracle.) I will make sure this is addressed.

I think it would go a long way to alleviating a lot of grief if perhaps there were a weekly summary status update .. maybe in the 'announcements', so that the posting itself doesn't become a long-running time-suck.?

Just something along the lines of

We are aware of these issues:

issue 1

issue 2

issue 3

We are actively working on these issues

Issue 1

issue 2

issue 3

Doesn't have to be much.  The community certainly doesn't expect the kind of detailed status you'd provide to management.  Just a regular update to let us know where things stand and that we haven't been hung out to dry.

• 12. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Dude! Guru

Maybe what the forum management needs is someone in charge with an IT management background understanding the needs of IT professionals when exchanging information. My impression so far is that the people in charge of this forum are some sort of social media analysts, perhaps playing around with Facebook and Twitter all day long. I mean, nothing personal, but the forum software priorities and quality acceptance hardly meets the current community expectation of what the software should do or even how it works or looks like. And it does not even play nicely with any of the new-age computer devices.

• 13. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    EdStevens Guru

Dude        ! wrote:

Maybe what the forum management needs is someone in charge with an IT management background understanding the needs of IT professionals when exchanging information. My impression so far is that the people in charge of this forum are some sort of social media analysts, perhaps playing around with Facebook and Twitter all day long. I mean, nothing personal, but the forum software priorities and quality acceptance hardly meets the current community expectation of what the software should do or even how it works or looks like. And it does not even play nicely with any of the new-age computer devices.

Good point.  I was looking at the installation docs for Jive yesterday, and the thought occurred to me ... how many forum admins (perhaps, "especially Jive based forums") have, by the very nature of the forum subject, a community that is capable of reading and understanding the documentation of the forum software?  Who are professionally equipped to do the admins job themselves?  In other words, who are quite capable (and willing?) to back-check and fact-check claims about the capabilities of the forum software ...

As I move about other technical support forums, I seem to see a lot more of whatever is used by forums.virtualbox.org, www.unix.com, etc.  Just good, basic forum software.  Nothing fancy, and certainly no attempt at being "social media".   At this point, I think a case could be made for throwing out the idea of 'backward compatibility'.  Just archive the current content, and move to a more appropriate platform with a link to the archives.

• 14. Re: Is the forum software falling apart?
    Dude! Guru

Well, looking how badly information from the previous forum was migrated to the new forum, speaking from my own experience, I think Oracle would not only have to archive the current forum, but also the forum prior to the forum upgrade.

I have no doubt that the decision to upgrade the forum was done in the best interest and best hope. Unfortunately, quality assurance and testing appears to have fallen short and the product apparently does not work as advertised. Perhaps the problem was wrong project management, or the fish rots from the head down, so to speak. I would not necessarily blame anyone who was involved in the forum upgrade, for whom, I can only imagine, this is probably a disappointing experience. Perhaps it explains the silence.

One thing is strange though, there always seems to be some desire in IT to consolidate information systems and implement universal one-size-fits-all solutions, like Microsoft, for instance. The result is unfortunately often the opposite, resulting in more servers, more problems, more staff and more conflicts, which may even work to the benefit of bad management.