This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 2:01 AM by Lusiyen RSS

Turkish section of this forum page, why not?

Lusiyen Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Turkish section of this forum page, why not? Please excuse me? but you have to be ...

• 1. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    EdStevens Guru

Lusiyen wrote:

Turkish section of this forum page, why not? Please excuse me? but you have to be ...

but you have to be ...  what?

Are you asking why there is not a Turkish language version of the forum?

• 2. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Lusiyen Newbie

English

Chinese

Korean

Japanese

Russian

Turkish ? Why do not you?

• 3. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Dude! Guru

You will probably have to ask your local community. You cannot expect people who do not speak any turkic language to create such a forum for you. It is a simple fact that the language used in IT is English, including any programming language. I do not believe this is going to change anytime some. If you plan to be an independent IT professional with access to complete and first hand information, than communicating in English is absolutely necessary. At least in this incarnation of the Matrix.

• 4. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    EdStevens Guru

Lusiyen wrote:

English

Chinese

Korean

Japanese

Russian

Turkish ? Why do not you?

"Why do not you?"

Why do I (we) not .. what?

There are a bunch of languages that are not on that list.  Given the prevalence of Oracle professionals from India, why are they not represented with a forum in their own language?

Dude! nailed it.  The international language of the IT industry happens to be English. 

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

• 5. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

>The international language of the IT industry happens to be English. 

That's true, there's must be a common language, and it happens to be English nowadays (not only for IT though).

But on the other hands we can reverse the question: why is there a Japanese, a Chinese, a Korean and a Russian forum ? Does this mean that people from these countries do not speak English ? I doubt.

That said, as far as I can see from those forums, they do not contain many sub-spaces, and they are rather not very in use.

Nicolas.

• 6. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    EdStevens Guru

Nicolas.Gasparotto wrote:

>The international language of the IT industry happens to be English. 

That's true, there's must be a common language, and it happens to be English nowadays (not only for IT though).

But on the other hands we can reverse the question: why is there a Japanese, a Chinese, a Korean and a Russian forum ? Does this mean that people from these countries do not speak English ? I doubt.

That said, as far as I can see from those forums, they do not contain many sub-spaces, and they are rather not very in use.

Nicolas.

I was actually rather surprised at the list of non-English spaces.  When I went to look at it, I was fully expecting to see a list that looked like it correlated to percentage of the Oracle customer base.  Maybe it does, but if so, I would have expected to see India on the list. 

"Not very (much) in use"

Just a speculation, perhaps they are not much in use because the international language of IT is English.  Perhaps the reason those exist at all has more to do with Jive defaults/recommendations than any well-thought-out plan by the Oracle staff.  If that's the case then it is futile to attempt to read any meaning into why a particular language is or is not on the list.

• 7. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Hoek Guru

Mostly spambots tend to use them

• 8. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Dude! Guru

Why not in any language? I’m sure Oracle like any other global business cares about its reputation and business political aspects. There are moderators here for a good reason:  They make sure people obey to certain legal and cultural standards. However, Oracle can effectively only control the information exchange on sites that it owns and last not least understands, or where it has a community that sufficiently watches over Oracle’s best interests. An Oracle site in a foreign, non-English language may not necessarily provide the same level of information, but may help to protect from other businesses that pretend to operate under the name of Oracle.

• 9. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE

In addition, we already have this for some spaces like the JDeveloer & ADF space.

The English space is frequently visited and very active, the Korean on has about a post a day with almost no answer.

The experts are mostly looking into the English space and some are not even aware that there is a Korean space available. Interestingly the question in the Korean space are in english too.

I really question if it's helpful to maintain spaces or fora in different languages at all.

Sure, there is the language barrier for all non native English speakers, but as mentioned before, without English you are lost anyway in this profession.

Timo

• 10. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Dude! Guru

I agree. It think the language localization of IT related information does not target the IT professional seeking technical information, but rather corporate interests and can be a business opportunity for the consumer market. To my experience however, someone who is not familiar with computer terms and concepts in English, does not necessarily understand them in another language. English is not my native language, but I'm glad all IT professional I met so far speak English, even though communication may sometimes be limited to computers only.

• 11. Re: Turkish section of this forum page, why not?
    Lusiyen Newbie

Thank you friends ..

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points