This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 11:34 PM by Christian Erlinger RSS

about any free edition of oracle forms

newbi_egy Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

hi all,

is  there any release of oracle forms which i can use for production purposes ? 6i for example or earlier ?

thanks

• 1. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator

All versions of Forms that are deployed as a web app, require a paid license. Further, all versions of Forms older than 11.x are no longer supported.

• 2. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    newbi_egy Explorer

what is the meaning of no longer supported ? can i use it for production purposes without paying money ?

i want to develop applications with any free version of oracle forms (without paying money) without license or anything .

• 3. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    rukbat Guru Moderator

No.

You use forms created with versions older than 11.x in production for as long as you have legitimate licenses to do so.

When the licenses expire, you stop using those forms in production else you get sued for breach of contract.

None of it is free.

• 4. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms

What I meant by "no longer supported" is that Forms version older than 11 are no longer entitled to error correction support (no new bug fixes), no new certifications, no new security patches, etc.  Using obsolete versions is not a good idea because if a technical problem arises and that issue is determined to be a product defect, you will not be able to get it fixed without first upgrading to the latest version.  Also, versions older than 10.1.2 are not entitled to technical support.  So if you need assistance from Oracle Support (assuming you have a current Support contract), they do not necessarily have to assist you while you are using an obsolete product version.  Refer to the following for details on Support:

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/index.html

Licensing for use, is not the same as Support.  As long as your license is current and applies to the product and version in question, then you can continue using it.  For exact details, I would recommend you contact your Oracle Sales or Account Representative or the Oracle Sales Office for clarification on how this applies to your specific situation.

• 5. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    newbi_egy Explorer

all story is that i am a student , and i want to develop small applications like pharmacy or laboratory or super market applications and i want to use

oracle forms . and i will sell the application for a cheap price for sure . what should i do ?

• 6. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms

Well, my first question is "which is it?".  Are you a student or are you trying to build applications and sell them?

If you are a student and just trying to learn the product and are not using your applications to interact with production data then you should be fine.  However, if you are building applications that will be used in production you need a paid license.  Read the following carefully:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/standard-license-152015.html

• 7. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    Christian Erlinger Guru

and i want to use oracle forms . and i will sell the application for a cheap price for sure . what should i do ?

Well, then your customer most certainly will have to pay more for oracle licenses as they'll have to pay for your software. Just have a glance at https://shop.oracle.com/

and see what your customer would have to purchase even if you hand your software to them for free.

IMHO Oracle Forms has become unaffordable for small to middle-sized companies as far as licensing and the hardware requirements go for the latest 11g version. Granted, the License fees have only been adjusted slightly compared to the 10g version, but as far as hardware goes...

So if you are asking if you should use oracle forms for a small project to sell it to a company which doesn't use oracle forms for now I'd have to say: don't even think about it. Even if the development comes easy to you you most certainly spend the rest of your time arguing why on earth your customer needs to install application server with at least 3GB RAM for 3 forms sessions, and hand over a huge amount of $ for oracle licenses.

cheers

• 8. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    newbi_egy Explorer

about using application server and ram and ...... etc ,

i will not use anything of these , it is just small application ,

may be on one pc , or on server and one client or two , without anything you mentioned .?

will it cost me a lot of money in this case

• 9. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    juancarlosreyesp Newbie

Hi, for small software better you use visual studio, from the moment Oracle decided to change oracle forms and reports to client, server there were some long discussions of customers, and Oracle doesn't seem to change of opinion. So my suggestion is for small software use visual studio.

Use oracle forms for bigger software , but if you have your libraries in visual studio, then use visual studio .

I agree the fact there should be a free edition of oracle forms 12c, but they don't want to think in that option even when there is a free edition of adf.

greetings

• 10. Re: about any free edition of oracle forms
    Christian Erlinger Guru

Just visit the link I gave you, and click the things together which you'd need; as far as forms goes the minimum on licenses would be 10 named users. As far as the memory consumption goes: this is not up to you; the type of the installation will decide for you how much ressources you'd need. As for the Forms 11g installation that would mean 3 instances of weblogic which would consume from 512MB to 1GB Memory each; no matter if you run 1 or 10 forms runtimes. The configuration might be suitable for big installation, but as previously said with smaller installation a total overkill. And in your one-session scenario I'd even consider it a no-go.

So for a single user application I'd definitely not use Forms, and as far as the database goes I'd depend that on the amount of data you want to collect / analyze. There are other databases available; a lot of them are free. Oracle XE is one of them:

Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2</title><meta name="Title" content="Oracle Database…

but then you'd need to decide for yourself if even a XE installation would be an overkill for a Single User application.

cheers

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points