2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 3:26 PM by ama RSS

Detecting critical path

7fb1482a-a722-4204-a3e0-634bc607e0f6

Hello guys

I am currently working on a 3700 activity project which includes civil and MEP works.

The problem here is that everytime i use the critical path filter (view>filter>critical path) it shows 0 critical activities. even the schedule log says there are no critical activities.

Although practically it is not possible for a 3700 activity project to have no critical path.

I need to get to the core of this problem and find the critical activities.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Detecting critical path
          dtwtech

Is your critical path defined as a number other than zero?  If defined as a negative number there may well be no critical path (according to that definition).

• 2. Re: Detecting critical path
            ama

Hello,

Try the following:

1. Ensure you have enabled float path calculation [Tools>Schedule>Options>Advanced tab>check option to "Calculate multiple float paths"]

2. Group the project schedule by Float Paths and Sort by Remaining Early Start

3. Look for the float path with the least amount of float that also has a "meaningful" chain of activities that extend from the data date to project completion. In other words, ignore (or rectify as needed) float paths that are too short and have just a handful of activities. This meaningful path with the least amount of float should be your most critical path.

Hope this helps!